I'm looking for protection for an isolated PC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by defaid, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defaid

defaid Registered Member

Hi all.

I originally posted this question in a flight sim forum, Avsim, (main hobby...) and one poster suggested I ask here for advice. So, the original, abridged, question...

"My PC stands alone with no connection to the outside world so I've never felt the need of more than basic malware protection. Addons are downloaded and scanned at work or the local library (ESET NOD32 and some Symantec suite) before installation. Recently, my daughter has been using the PC for a load of her own stuff (work & play) and blithely plugs music players, cameras and portable HDs into mine.

What would you recommend for XP service pack 3, FS9, registered FSUIPC and Radar Contact? (It also runs X3 and Flight Unlimited 3... oh and Sims 2 and Black & White)."

The main problem I forsee is that with the exception of what's carried in on some portable device the PC has no connection to the big wide world so updates et c. may be tricky. However, and I know this is potentially heretical, as my daughter's now flown the coop maybe all I really need is a one-shot thorough scan to sort out any latent problems that have been left behind.

What would you suggest, or advise? It may be a few days before I pick up any replies.

Thanks in advance.
    D

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Add on-demand scanner with offline updateability and behavior blocker to your isolated PC.

3. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

Without having to manually update definitions, the only things I can think of are:

1. To prevent automatic infection from a flash drive turn off Autorun functionality with Panda's USB Vaccine (free)

2. To guard against malware behaviorily, install PC Tools' Threatfire (free) or Emsisoft's Mamutu (paid) behavior blocker

However, I would still install a signature-based scanner and periodically update and scan manually. Avira would be a good choice. You could even make a habit of downloading, burning, and scanning with their rescue CD, since it would be about the same amount of work. Also, the rescue CD would be a good way to deal with any current problems; Malwarebytes and Superantispyware scans couldn't hurt either.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

download(at work or somewhre you have net access)one of the av suites that can be updated offline(Kis,avira etc)also download latest defs in a zip file,insall on your stand alone pc and update using the downoaded defs,do a full scan then I'd uninstall the AV product:-if everything you use is scanned before use with a reputable product there is no real need to have one installed and running on your PC
    I know some will say the product used to scan could miss something and you should have one installed and running but that could miss things as well so where do you draw the line?

5. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Run Dr Web Live CD or even Dr Web Cure-it which is an .exe that has new definitions when you download it. Then run a Avira Live CD.

6. defaid

defaid Registered Member

Hi.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I went with Avira in the end- simple to download & update, and simple to use. I ran it overnight and turned up three lots of spyware, one trojan and a couple of probable false positives (installers from pretty reputable flight sim companies, redownloaded tonight for comparison). I suppose that's about the best result, I'd still be worrying if nothing had showed up...

I'd heard good reports of Malwarebytes too but neither network would let me download-- "...this site has been blocked for your security...". I think the administrators are having a laugh!

I'll be installing Panda's USB Vaccine later too as that seems to be my biggest source of threats.

Kind regards,
    Dave

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

On such computers like yours I usually install avast free
    www.avast.com . It would provide you with basic protection

You can regularly download updates from here (single exe file):
    http://www.avast.com/download-update

and install this update to the isolated computer by transfering the exe file using removable media , USB flash , etc...

Since avast releases new product versions , once in three months or so , make sure you download the newest avast version from the Internet
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and install it over your existing avast so that you update your product , too.

From time to time , you can download DrWeb Cure It and use it to scan the isolated computer:
    http://www.freedrweb.com/download cureit/

As mentioned , autoruns from CDs/DVDs/USBs should be disabled

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

How did you update it with no internet ?

9. CiX

CiX Registered Member

For a computer without Internet connection, try No Autorun

http://sourceforge.net/projects/noautorun/

10. defaid

defaid Registered Member

Hi.

3GUser, sorry, my lack of clarity. I meant updating the definition files (bundled in a *.zip from Avira) is easy. I suppose updating the application would just be a matter of downloading the currently offered version and reinstalling. I download at the local library (free internet) and carry stuff home on a USB stick.

CiX, I think I'll try No Autorun as looking through the readme for Panda's USB Vaccine, I'm not sure it will work properly with NTFS drives. (Seems odd as I'm sure NTFS has been around for a long time).

Anyway, thanks again.
    D

11. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

Panda USB vaccine can "vaccinate" PCs with NTFS-formatted disc drives. That means the PC's autorun function will be turned off.

It can also "vaccinate" USB flash drives formatted FAT32. That means an autorun entry cannot be created on the flash drive (because Panda will already have created one that can't be changed without re-formatting).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.