I'm in my sixties, so please bear with me with the AyRecovery questions!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

When the children were in high school, in the mid nineties we got them a pc. With dial up and at work, my learning curve was at a snails pace. Around 03/04 broadband finally became available in our town and my pc skills have probably increased over 1000% by frequenting sites like this. However, given from where I started, that isn't saying much!
    I love AyRecovery and wish I had listened to all of you a long time ago and purchased "snapshot" restore software. But I have many lingering questions. Is the image with Ghost 10 that I put on my external HD drive before installing Ay now useless unless I uninstall Ay? I read the white paper on the workaround with image software but it mentions the Ay CD, I only downloaded it. Is taking a Ghost image now useless? I believe there are some imaging software around now that will work with Ay, correct? Or I could purchase AYGHOST or EAZFIX which I gather include images? Do I even need an image program now? This appears to be the perfect software testing app: Take a snapshot, install (even if requiring a reboot), play with it and if you don't want it Restore. Is this correct? I've been reluctant to slipstream my XP SP1 cd but I could try that now and restore if I screw up, correct?
    Last, an observation, I notice some of the features in Ay have files starting with EAZ. All these programs seem to be relatively the same even, for the most part, how and where to purchase them. Thank you and I hope you have a great year!

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Ans:Yes ur ghost image has become outdated not useless .There many apps for imaging far better than nortons ghost eg.IFW ,DS, shadowprotect.

all the above three work well with ayrecovery.I think norton may work if modify the settings and image form a live cd. I cannot say since i dont use it.

U do need an image program, because ayrecovery may become useless for kinds of errors.

Im around 40 yrs younger than u, i havent met people in 60s talking of imaging app.Great going sir:thumb:

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hi ratchet, glad to hear that you are finding AyRecovery of value.

If you ever decide to restore your system to the state it was in before installing AyRecovery, your Ghost image will do that. However, do note that all of your email and other personal files will revert to that time-frame.

Unfortunately, Norton Ghost will not work properly with AyRecovery because Ghost's Recovery CD does not provide for doing a backup (creating a disk-image) - it only serves to restore a backup. In order to properly backup a system with AyRecovery installed you need a disk-image program which:

a) Provides the ability to backup after booting from the Recovery CD (or some other boot CD).

AND

b) Contains an All-Sectors backup mode (also referred to as 'raw mode', or 'sector-by-sector' or 'maintenance mode' by various disk-imaging programs).

There are several disk-imaging programs that can do this, such as the ones mentioned by raakii (plus others) and most of them have been discussed in many other threads that you will find in this forum.

Hth & happy new year!
    Aaron

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

isn't that funny I'm nearly 60 [58 to be exact] and I've never met anyone 40 years younger than me talking of imaging apps, as a matter of fact I'm at a stretch trying to think of one that's mentioned anything about computer security full stop. :D

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

That's because they're being polite.
    Those of us over 60, or close to it, wouldn't do well discussing such things.
    And they even call us 'Sir'.
    I felt good until I read this thread.
    Now where's my nurse?
    Happy New Year.
    Hugger

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I was 69 in September. I too got my first computer in 1997 and couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I read everything I could get my hands on and eventually found this forum, where I pick up all sorts of info and hone my computer skills. Thanks to the boys at Wilders, I have the original FDISR which I rely on regularly. How many of you young un's have it? Hee Hee:D

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I will be 55 in a little over a month, I got my first computer in September of 1998 I was online by the end of November. I started deleting the useless programs that were preloaded on my computer by january of 1999. I started looking for better programs that were left on the computer like the AV, in those days McAfee AV was pretty bad. I had a Greeting card program by Buarder bund(I think that is how it is spelled) I find out years later it is loaded with spyward and trojans, the curcers were made by comet...spyware every single one, I found a nice gold set..scaned them for spyware before I installed the set.

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I got 7 licenses before I knew Wilders existed but I reckon I'm borderline at 50 years young.:cool:

9. raakii

raakii Registered Member

10. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

I'd forgotten about Comet Cursor, how about Bonzi Buddy for another evil thing from the past :eek:

ok you old fogies we should be careful at this point we don't slip into the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen skit
    hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Perhaps a revival of the Over The Hill Gang is in order?
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.