I'm going to miss AVG 7.5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wordward, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I am known to have tried many AV's and liked something about each one. Recently I had Avast 4.8 installed and it ran very well. And before that I had AVG 8.0 which didn't. I now have the AVG 7.5 Pro installed again, that I've used off and on for a long time. And I have to say it runs lighter than any AV I've used including Avira, which is my second favorite. Also it always ran well with any other security program I used. I think Avast 5.0 will be awesome. Avira 8.0 will be even better than 7. And AVG 8.0 will improve. But for now it's a pleasure using AVG 7.5 for the reasons I mentioned, plus it's not too shabby on detection. Say what you will about the interface, or that some other AV's have better detection. But I for one am going to miss AVG 7.5.

2. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I'm not...

I used AVG Pro 7.5 (free license from some German PC Site until the end of this year), and although detection was good and it ran smoothly, the update process was slow and tended to take over the whole computer. I switched to McAfee by Comcast and it was exactly the same story. Just switched to Avast Home and I'll stay with this for now..

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I don't blame you as Avast is a great AV and updates without a hitch. However, I've never even had a problem with AVG Free updating slow. I know Avira had update problems with their free version, but have corrected it. That may be the "free" AV to get when it's released. As far as AVG 7.5 goes. The Pro version is on different servers and updates flawlessly. I too got it for free with some PC magazine giveaway last year, and now you can find a website called Digital Life, and get a license that also works for the latest version of AVG Pro 7.5. It expires on December 1st, 2008, but all support for 7.5 will end on December 31st anyway.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  4. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

December 31st.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sorry, i know it's no consolation for users of AVG, but i felt the same sting when XP came out and i had to say a fond farewell to then AVG6 which i threw a tizzy over at their forums but to no avail. They in no uncertain terms told me to upgrade to XP or find another AV.

I still miss my AVG 6. It was truly a lifesaver for the time i used Windows 98.

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Yeah that's when. LOL. I'm so anal though that I still edited my post. LOL.

Hopefully AVG 8.0 will improve, but I can't see how it will ever run as light as 7.5, at least on Windows XP.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  7. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I've used AVG since 2002 on 2-3 PC's but I kind of feel let down this time, both with the bugs, heaviness, and even that little toolbar thing...

I agree that 7.5 was as light as an AV could get. Hopefully, by the time they end 7.5 support v8 won't be so messed up. If it still is and still runs heavy, I'll just replace it on my remaining "AVG PC"

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

you know it is amazing how some people complaint about avg 8. Take a look at the Avast posts here and you will see complaints in there about Avast. Take a look at the Nod32 posts and again you will see complaints.

Everyone runs different software on their computers and some computers certain software works amazing while on others a horror scene.
    I guess you cannot please everyone.

robin

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

One needs to know that even if AVG 8 consumes more resources than 7.5, it also scans more efficiently and scans more types of files and a more thorough scan as well ;)

The only way I can see AVG 8 becoming heavier than 7.5 is by the way of memory usage. Everything else should remain decent after the bugs are ironed out. And given that AVG 8 was optimized for multicore PCs, it is possible AVG 8 might actually go faster on newer PCs compared to 7.5 ;)

For me, current slowdowns are all related to scanning of certain file types (hopefully this can be optimized a bit in future releases) by the resident shield in folders with large numbers of files, and of course the LinkScanner component still does cause a few slowdowns. Personally I do feel AVG would have been better off without LinkScanner, but I do like the technology, here's hoping they can optimize it just a little better, and of course allow me to disable the Search Shield if I wish. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.