Ikarus Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ghostcloak, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It seems to me that Ikarus does very few sample analysis. It seems to add signatures if they are detected by someone else. Maybe this is what IBK didn't like.
    Happy birthday bellgamin :)

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just thought id try this av,and it seems there is a few false positives.It flagged startup delayer ,and process lass ,as malware :rolleyes:
    That said it has a nice simple interface ,no slowdown,and the popups are not intrusive either.I know that any av can get FPs but im always wary when it flags common applications.
    ellison

Attached Files:

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks for giving it a try. Nice to see a screen shot! I emailed there support. Virus samples should be sent to samples@ikarus.at and false positives should be sent to false-positive@ikarus.at

Cheers

Jlo

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

5. Ikarus_bpaar

Ikarus_bpaar Registered Member

Hi all,

Im technician @ IKARUS and thought it could be usefull for you if you can ask me few things about our AV.

Because of our new scan-engine T3, maybe there will be more FP than in our old scanner T2.

When we developed the new scanner, we implemented a completely new vdb and failtest system, which is still in the learn phase. There are about 0.5 million files in our failtest-system and we are learning in more and more. So if there are still FP on your systems, we will be glad if you can send the files to us so we can load them in our failtest-system immediately.

Hope my english is not to bad :)

Cheers

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Good to see you drop in here. Hope you stay around.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hello Ikarus_bpaar...

It's great to have an Ikarus representative visit Wilders forum. It is THE best English-language security forum on the internet.

The greatly improved detection of Ikarus is VERY impressive. Please tell us more about the new T3 engine. If you are allowed to do so by your company, please tell us more about the heuristics, emulator, unpackers of Ikarus -- anything that you can discuss without over-stepping your company's guidelines.

By the way -- your English is very clear and understandable.:)

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

very interested to learn more about it myself.. thanks

9. jlo

jlo Registered Member

10. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Welcome. Great to have someone from Ikarus join this forum!

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just browsing through the vb records,

and noticed failed the vista x64 VB test, due to 46 FP's. :eek:

latest dec07 test for win2000 was:

9 wildlist misses, 13 false positive

looks like it may have a paranoid detection.

12. newposter

newposter Registered Member

And very strong fps:D

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Wasent Ikarus that Greek dude who flew too close to the Sun, and got his Ass Burnt and the Sun melted his wings, and He crashed and Burned :blink:

First I've heard of Ikarus.. but I might take a sneaky at it sometime :ninja:

14. bellgamin

No, he left his donkey in the parking lot while he indulged in flying.

Anyhoo, I hope you DO fly Icky for a trial -- and let us hear what you think of it afterward. Just don't get too close to the sun.:cool:

15. Ikarus_bpaar

who paied you for that ? ;) *jokingly*

When i'm right, the new T3 has about 17 different pack algorithms, relaized by our selfmade unpacking engine. The new emulator ist also developed by ourselfs, but because of restricted informations i dont know much about it. Just our scannerdevelopment team knows the details, i will see if i can get few details, which I may publish. :)

thx :)

were working on it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus

:D

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I may have missd it and if I did I apologize, but how long is the trial for Ikarus?

17. Ikarus_bpaar

From the day of preparation, 30 days.

Link in my signature :) (sry its a german site ... our website is an temporarily website an will be renewed in a while, in ENGLISH :D)

18. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Any chance on a Ikarus Suite in the future?

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

would you be leaving kas then? lol

20. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

No

But ikarus is doing some same things. Just curious

21. Blackcat

Good idea as it should extend the geographical area of your userbase.

22. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Well, I was an independent virus/trojan/malware tester for over 6 years, and reported to many of the top name vendors out there. Due to being an "Independent", I'm not allowed by rule to list any vendors I reported to, but I have a lifetime subscription t Virus Bulletin. The VB100% award is the Industry Standard and has been since it's inception, every AV vendor strives to this award.

Here is a screenshot of IKARUS's history in the VB awards:

Ikarus Results.jpg

Usually vendors who have a number of "No Entry" in their report means that they had a product during that test period but did not submit it for the test, and that's mainly due to the vendor knowing that the product was not up to par at the time. This is not true tho all of the time. Some vendors simply didn't have a product for public use during the testing phase, and without further clarification of this it's best to not read anything into the "No Entry" number. It's up to an Ikarus rep to tell you whether or not they had a product out during those test periods (usually 2-3 times per year).

Personally, I would give this vendor a "wide berth" at this moment. The 46 False Positives in August 2007 and another 13 in December 2007 don't bode well for Ikarus. Most testers prefer a product miss 1 or 2 of the newer "In The Wild" virus than to pop up a pile of False Positives. False positives can result in the deletion of non-infected, and many times, needed files.

Dave

P.S. - I'm very glad to see an Ikarus rep posting here! That means they're pretty up front on what's happening with their product and willing to accept that their product has a few issues to settle still. Myself, I would like to hear about the 9 Wildlist misses in the latest test platform? The detection signatures for these are all provided to the vendors beforehand, so wildlist misses indicate an engine or database failure. Are you guys actively working on this and are you planning on having an upgraded product ready for the next VB test?
    Good to see you here! Anyone working to combat the nasties is OK in my book and the more "Quality" products out there, the better...so I would like nothing better than to see Ikarus perfect their product! It's not an easy task so keep up the hard work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

That post above is mean :( The Ikarus rep has already posted to state they are researching on how to make their product better. The past is past. Its how it progresses that matters

24. Blackcat

IBK has just tested Ikarus again (26th March) against a 2-month-old test-bed of nearly 1,700,000 malware samples.

It achieved a total detection rate of 97.3% which was very similar to another on-demand test last September.

Overall "it would in our regular tests probably reach the Advanced certification level".

25. bellgamin

If they would just get their price down below $35/year, I would consider using it. As it now stands, IMO it's a bit overpriced when compared to the prices of other AVs with equal or better abilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.