IGNORE/RETRY/CANCEL

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paul2978, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul2978

paul2978 Registered Member

I have acronis workstation 9.1 (3,887)
    xp Home SP2
    Backups are incremental
    No firewalls running

The problem I have is that if a file is opened or in use by another user Acronis does not automatically skip this file/folder without a user having to click ignore - this is very frustrating as if this error occurs at the first backup location none of the other backups will run, and this is run at night (do i sit up every night and wait)

IS there a way that you can auto ignore errors on files so that the backups will run. The odd file here and there is not a problem but not having a backup of the computer/network is.

For backup software this seems like a simple thing to haveo_O

Paul

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Isn't that the reason for scheduling Backups at night - when no files should be in use by anyone?

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I've run files while having a half dozen programs runing with files opened and ATI never compained about locked files or failed to backup up the disk. Perhaps this is problem iwth file backups as opposed to disk/partition backups?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello paul2978,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that you can set an option to ignore all read errors during the backup creation in the submenu "Additional settings" of the "Backup creation options" menu.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. nanders

nanders Registered Member

I have the same problem.. I have checked "ignore all read errors..." box. But still i got the "error reading file..." message. I'm doing file-based backup to a tape drive. I never had a problem when I did a image-based backup. I can't do image-based backup because the restore time is not acceptable.

Some information:
    * All backup is done on the same server.
    * Microsoft Windows 2003
    * Acronis True Image Server 9.1 (build #3920)

I have the latest acronis drivers installed. (Question! Why can't i find the latest acronis drivers on "My Account" on the Acronis page? It's crazy to just put the link to it in the forum..)

I know that some file on the server may be in use while the backup is in progress. But I still want to do backup on the other files!

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I did some tests a while ago with file backups. I held a file locked open and then did a file backup of that file. It backed up up without a problem. Its seems reasonable to assume that this must be because even file backups use sector access to copy the data rather than trying to go through the file API. Note that only when I tried to restore the file whilst the original was still locked did it complain and ask to do a reboot.

So I am not convinced that simply having a file open or locked open, is enough to cause you to see the symptoms you are seeing. Perhaps you are seeing genuine read errors.

F.

7. nanders

Thanks for your reply!

I have an FTP-server on the same server as Acronis. When files is beeing uploaded and Acronis tries to do a backup of that file, Acronis stops.. I don't think that is strange, but I want Acronis to skip that file instead. The FTP needs to be open 24/7, and right now, I don't see a good work around for this problem...

8. nanders

Update: I have tried to do the same backup with the built in "NT Backup". It works perfect.

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If all you want to do is a file backup to tape, why not just use NT backup?

TrueImage's claim to fame is the image backup feature and the Linux recovery environment for recovery of the boot partition. The file backup feature exists in many other products including NT backup which is based on the old Veritas backup software. Of course, NT backup won't write to CD or DVD disks as far as I know, but you are using tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.