Ignore Bad Sector & Silent MOde - TI Home 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by adrobnis, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrobnis

adrobnis Registered Member

Is anyone else having the following problem:

1. Check the box marked "Ignore bad sector"
    2. Check the box marked "...(silent mode)"

Now, run a task to create a backup on a hard drive that has a bad sector.

In theory, since both boxes are checked, the backup should run, ignore the bad sector and backup the drive. Yet, when I go to the computer in the morning, there is a waiting message asking me to Retry, Ignore, Cancel, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on this....?

Thanks.

- Adam

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello adrobnis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build (9615) of Acronis True Image Home 2009. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the problem persists with the latest build, could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create screenshots of setting up the backup task and the error message.

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please let me know your e-mail address via forum Private Messages; I will send you an e-mail to which you can reply with the information attached. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. adrobnis

adrobnis Registered Member

Unfortunately, the system says "Private Message is unavailable." But, I did receive a reply back from "Nadezhda Averyanova" who should be working on the problem (I sent a reply email this morning with his requested information - similar to your request).

I am using the latest build and submitted screenshots along with the Report and some logs.

Please check with him and let me know what you two can figure out.

Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Hello adrobnis,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Thank you for clarification. I will make sure the case is properly handled.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. pluskey

pluskey Registered Member

I am experiencing the same problem. This has been a problem in TIH dating back to version 11 when the feature was introduced.

If it would be completely happy if this feature just worked as advertised, log the error, bypass the user dialog (retry, ignore, etc), and just move on.

Halting an unattended (scheduled) backup isn't useful!

6. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The encountered issue is well-known, our Development Team is working to create a fix for it.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

7. pluskey

I am patiently awaiting a fix for this problem. I have trouble understanding why a fix hasn't been forthcoming, since it appears to be a very simple software issue to test the silent mode flag, and then just force "ignore" as the dialog answer. Sounds like an IF...THEN operation to me.

8. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Hm, Acronis cannot publish a new build after a little fix.
    They collect bugs and fix them all for the next build.

This takes a long time because the boxed software (with a CD inside) in the shops must be substituted.

Be aware that Ti2009 is (relative) new.
    If I buy Ti2009 in a shop now I expect there is the newest Build on the CD inside.
    If Acronis creates builds after every 'little' fixing, you have 'old' CDs all the time.

If Ti2009 becomes a little bit older, new builds will be hand out by downloads.
    Nobody will then complain an old CD in the box ...

BTW:
    But it's time now for a new build :)

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Naw, there's no substitution of product in brick and mortar stores. Any user can download updates so there's no need and no past practice of substituting store product. It's more likely a matter of resource management or marketing strategy.

Acronis used to do many interim builds (e.g., version 7 -10) -- in fact, so many that it sometimes drove us users a bit to the edge. However, with ATI11, the number of builds dropped to just one that had few fixes in it. ATI12/2009 appears to be going the same route as 11 with one interim build and that with only a few fixes of minor items. So, probably, sometime around September we'll see a new version (13/2010) with some of the old and some new bugs.

There are still some very serious bugs in ATI 12/2009 and serious bugs, imo, call for fixes ASAP.

10. MrMorse

Not so in Germany.

I hope with my requirements again...
    Otherwise: 'bye bye Acronis' when my current Ti11 must finish its life regarding newest hardware...
    (But Ti11 works yet :))

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Since when? German users have been able to download updates in the past, or so I've been told. Store package rarely has the lastest build even if there's only one interim build. Replacing the store packages wouldn't make any sense.

12. MrMorse

@shieber
    Yes, we have the opportunity to download the latest build.
    But Germans have annother mentality:
    Buy a boxed version (with CD). And if Software isn't very old, people expect the current version.

1. not all German has a connection to the internet.
    2. the German don't like following:
    - buy a new current software
    - install the software
    - determine that it is an old build
    - download the latest build
    - uninstall the 'few minutes ago' installed software (because recommended)
    - install the new build of Software

And when you say there was an 'SearchForUpdate'-function in the installation routine of Ti2009 they would say: "I'm not an "expert" though!' ;)

I hope you can figure out what I want to say :)
    (but I don't insist on my 'German-assessment' wheter I'm right or not ;))

13. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Yes a "check for update feature" would be very good, I will put this on the wish list.

This feature would be good as the emails about new builds from Acronis do not work. I registered over a year ago and I only found out about Build 9646 from this forum. I got no emails from Acronis.

It is definately time for a new build. Build 9646 just showed how inadequate the Acronis testing had been for ATI 2009.

If any programmers have been working on ATI 2009 bugs for the last 2 months then there should be a new build available.

If Acronis are committed to ATI 2009 and its users then there should be a new build this quarter.

14. pluskey

MrMorse makes a good point, if you buy a retail boxed software, it would be reasonable to expect it was thoroughly tested, possibly requiring an update patch for some esoteric function of configuration that doesn't work quite right.

The reality I have seen for many, many years is that the competitive product cycle cuts the beta testing phase down to the minimum. I haven't purchased any substantial piece of software that hasn't had a major or critical update almost immediately. This included Operating Systems, Office Suites, financial software, and other utilities. The sad fact is that all software purchased through retail distribution is suspect and should not be installed until the support site is checked for updates. This is a major burden for those without high speed internet service

I now just buy the retail box for the license number. I would rather just buy the license number online and download the latest build immediately, and do so whenever possible, but some manufacturers don't support this type of distribution.

There is a problem with aggregating bugs into a major build, and that problem is customer support. If there is a small and easy to fix bug that affects a large number of people, like the silent mode bug, as a matter of customer satisfaction that should be fixed quickly in a minor build. If there is a major or difficult to fix bug that affects few users, that should be addressed in due time and after extensive testing to make sure it repairs the problem, and doesn't break something else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.