If you use Facebook alot, will it make it impossible for you to be anonymous anymore?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Let's say you favorite hundreds of things and have hundreds of friends. You make tons of status updates everyday and always chat with people on Facebook. Are you still able to maintain some level of online anonymity. I'm using Tor for this site. Maybe that's overkill? But I just like to use Tor for this site.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There is no need to use TOR for this site, we already know who you are! :D

3. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

The question here is can someone connect you to your Facebook. I'd say, yes you can still achieve a degree of anonymity, but you need to be careful about how you go about doing that. For example, let's consider you take a picture on your phone and upload it to Facebook. Most cameras today stamp photos. If you were to share the same photo across your private network and it was successfully intercepted. With this they could make the initial assertion that you either are the same people or you are connected (have a relationship) with that person in some way. They would then begin to profile any addition information they gathered that could tie you to that account or to the person owning that account. This presumes of course that someone is really intent on going to that much effort. I'd make it a general policy to avoid information overlap between your private and public networking activities. I'm not saying that I'm paranoid, but it would be prudent to presume that absolute anonymity is as much as pipe dream as absolute security. So if you want to run a private network, I side on caution about running a private network from any location that overlaps with my personal life. I wouldn't run it from my home or office. I wouldn't host it from the same machine. I wouldn't have any overlap that connects the two. The goal is not to leave bread crumbs. Don't presume that a high-tech or low-tech solution can avoid being profiled by someone on trained in no-tech data collection. Consider the photo example from before. Once they make that connection, it's all down hill from there. You will be profiled, that means where you go, what you do, whom you talk to. They might even seek access to your home or place of employment. We shouldn't forget that the same detective work that went into solving crimes before computers is just as important today as it was back then. The only thing that's changed is we have added an additional avenue into our homes: home surveillance systems, web cams, computers, etc. It's not paranoia, its prudent planning. These people may be paid to work for whatever period of time is needed to study you. Why then shouldn't you put in the hours to make that process as difficult as possible.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes it's entirely possible, as long as the Facebook account is anonymous in the first place. Otherwise it's a lot harder as Techwiz says.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

6. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Then what is my real identity? Please PM me it ASAP.

Then I will find a way around this problem mate :) I'm a crafty guy. No problem is too hard to solve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.