If you HAD to choose, would it be Mcaffee or Norton?

Discussion in 'polls' started by SwordOfSecurity, Feb 8, 2006.

?

If you just HAD to choose...which one would it be?

1. Norton Security Products

30 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Mcaffee Security Products

34 vote(s)
    53.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

another one of those interesting polls! :p anyway, i'm a fan of neither product, but i'm curious as usual on what people think on two of the well known popular security software out there. the question for this poll basically is: if you HAD to get either a Mcaffee or Norton security software, which would it be? NOTE:could be security suite, AV, firewall, or whatever in this case.

feel free to post your comments on your decisions, opinions, etc.

2. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

norton.. because i've had better experience with them.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i would choose norton due its somewhat more plentiful options, nicer interface (IMHO), and no use of activex. tho i dislike that they joined mcafee in also having a "security center" for their 2006 antivirus. btw instead of norton products could i choose symantec products?

4. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

interesting how most people are choosing mcaffee...just curious, but is it mainly because norton has a relatively bad reputation? (resource hogger, etc.) or is there any specific reason why? (haven't really used mcaffee that much)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would prefer McAfee because it doesn't a lot of problems like Norton, but if you had an option to NONE on your Poll... ;)

6. Sonap

Sonap Registered Member

McAfee, bud experience from norton

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Personally I would choose Norton as it is more configuarable and I think it has better protection. I have used both off nd on for years. but I now use F-Secure internet scurity 2006 and won't go back to either one.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I would choose McAfee. It's not that I don't like Norton, it was my first AV when I started with computor. But it was a nightmare to remove after.

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

If I "had" to choose, McAfee would be it. Never used it, but I did use Norton. Never again.
    Would have been interesting to see what the results would have been if the poll was a choice between those 2 or use nothing at all.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Since I am a Comcast subscriber and can get McAfee for free it would have to be McAfee: pure economics.

Acadia

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Norton. Because Mc*f** has had crazy problems the last month or so. It's like they've gone crazy. Their apps are destroying data & OS.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also would choose the none of the above option. My feelings about these two are equal.

13. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Either one is perfectly fine. The chic thing is to knock the big two, but their detection rates are superb. With a modern computer with a quality CPU and at least a gig of ram, these two are among the cream of the crop. While I respect the opinions of the users of other products (and there are some good ones) many have created a situation where it's almost "uncool" or you're "strictly a noob" if you use Norton or Mc. I disagree and would happily use either one.

14. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Norton - very briefly - personally rate the latest NP firewall over McAfee's, Norton more easy freindly GUI, and MAJOR reason ACTIVEX (anti christ) -

betauser2

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Not real crazy about either, BUT....

Unfortunately, I had a VERY bad experience with Norton, after only a VERY short time period (within just a few weeks of install). I've run McAfee for a much, much longer time period on different occasions, different machines without such problems. Therefore, in a choice between these two - from experience...what works best FOR ME is McAfee.

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I'd chose McAfee...simply because norton is a resource hog. Also the fact that in the past norton has had some REALLY major flaws in its product that at one point allowed a hacker to penetrate a system and completely disable norton....I don't have much faith in an AV that has had these kinds of flaws.

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Ugh...choice 3...I'd have to format if either of those two were installed.

18. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

My first AV was actually McAfee, then I switched to NAV, which I used for about three years.
    Eventually had to ditch NIS 2002 because email protection never worked, ports magically became unstealthed, and it regularly forgot how to block ads...

Still, detection wise both are certainly more than decent.

Although I've now been running a combination of Nod32/LooknStop/Adshield for years, and would never go back to either McAfee or Norton, when pressed to make a choice I'd still go for McAfee, although I hasten to add I have no recent personal experience using either...

I do however think you're doing yourself a disservice by limiting the choice to just these two...

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

With a gun against my head, I would sign for Mcoffee (any spelling seems to be possible in this poll), because I already used Norton. :)

20. Dazza

Dazza Registered Member

If they were the only two available then I don't think I'd have a pc.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This new PC came with 15 months of McAfee FREE. This was after I sent back to Dell three computers they sent with Mcafee or Norton installed. They promised me NONE would be installed. I finally got tired of sending them back. They can't honor a promise. I intended to immediately reformat but didn't and had great difficulty getting McAfee off and had to hand comb the registry as so much was left after the regular uninstall. I would NEVER use McAfee even though this was 15 MONTHS free. I won't use anything that requires ActiveX for updating.

So, I would have to choose Norton. I had McAfee on my first computer. Then I switched to Norton 2001 and loved it but by NAV 2003, it was too bloated for my 98SE box so I left Norton. But if I had to choose just between those two it would be Norton. I hear some good things about the latest NAV. My quarrel with Symantec is their horrible, worthless support. That is why I refuse to use NAV.

I have Bit Defender 9 Pro and I happily installed it on this new box after I finally got McAfee removed.

22. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Yes, I read about that .... very scary stuff .... bad for McAfee and even worse for their customers. :eek:

My choice would be Norton.

HR:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.