If you are using Vista and FSecure Internet Security, please would you check....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mooly, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooly

Mooly Registered Member

If anyone is using FSecure internet security with VISTA would you mind checking that the Windows Defragmenter opens correctly.
    If you type defragmenter into the <run> box and click on it does it get past the UAC screen or just revert back to the desktop view.
    System restore is also "corrupt" as soon as I install FS onto clean Vista image.
    The other major issue is that it "breaks" windows update.

This is a problem (among several) I am having and have found FSecure to be the cause. It's got very involved, and if you find you have this issue there is more info here, paricularly the last couple of pages.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=362250&forumid=1

Maybe it is some strange combination of hardware/drivers etc, I've run out of ideas now, and I am running it an Acer 9301 notebook unmodified with a clean Vista install.

Many thanks.

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

Which IS are you using?

I'm using the new 2010 version (official release) on Vista x64 and have no issues whatsoever opening Windows Defragmenter and my restore points are fine. Windows Update runs without problems also.

So I really aren't sure where your problem lies. If it is 2010, check the other threads on Wilders relating to that version and I can't see anyone experiencing the problems you're having. (You could perhaps PM Patrik with your problems - you'll find his posts on the 2010 ISTP thread - he's an employee of FS and am sure he can help/point you in the right direction).

If you aren't using the 2010 version then perhaps you should give that a try and see if it helps.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi Mooly. I'm trialing FSAV 2010 on a laptop with Vista, WinDefrag and SystemRestore both open and work properly.

4. Mooly

Mooly Registered Member

Thanks for replies folks,
    More info at FS forum here,

http://forum.f-secure.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10393

There's a lot to read if you follow all the "in's and outs" but it makes interesting reading.

I was using IS2009, then tried IS2010, both installed onto a clean Vista SP2 install on Acer notebook. Both immediately failed.
    I tried Kaspersky trial version and that was 100% perfect. No issues.
    Have submitted support request and sent FSDIAG report as requested but all's gone quiet. Others also having same problem.
    The windows update problem is strange, defender updates would install OK, anything else (Vista security updates etc etc) all failed with various codes.
    Microsoft have a fix, apparently the Windows update log gets corrupted, and you fix it by running an elevated command prompt or running a wizard from MS. This works everytime but the issue returns come next updates.
    Defragmenter "breaks" as soon as FS installed. It will NOT OPEN at all.
    System restore appears to work, but I tried it as a test and it gives error message part way through, I've sent all this to FS but no acknowledgement.

5. Mooly

Mooly Registered Member

Just an update for anyone following this, all the issues have been confirmed by FS but no ready sollution appears to exist. It may be down to some strange conflict of software/driver even though I am running a clean Vista SP2 image and 'nowt else :) They have been extremely helpful throughout.

So at the moment have gone back to clean Vista image and am trialling Microsofts Beta anti virus program. Have to say I am very impressed up to now, not only does it integrate superbly with Vista (as you would expect) it impacts so little on resources. Boot times are around 1 min 15 secs running aero on a 3yr old notebook with 2gb ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.