If running only 2 security programs real-time, which combination would you choose?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by justenough, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK, thanks for the feedback. I thought that OA having a HIPS would notify for such; maybe not in such a meticulous way.

Thanks again. :)

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

The 2 red ones:
    Bufferzone Pro and Avira AV

Ice

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

OA will alert to new installations but (sometimes at least) won't advise if a trusted program has added itself to the autostart menu without your specific permission.

Another nice feature of WinPatrol (like Online Armor) is that you can check to see what the most recent installations were to your system. (Very useful when trying to figure out why something has recently gone awry.)

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good advice, m00nbl00d. At the time when I added WP, I had scaled back to Sandboxie and Prevx (I had removed OA). But I wanted the excellent systemwide info capabilities of WP if I wasn't going to have OA. As good as the advice is to keep it simple, it is equally important to stick with what gives you comfort, and for me, that meant putting OA back in place. :cool:

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sandboxie and Vipre Premium seem to be a good combo.
    A couple of days now with Vipre 4 and all's quiet on the security front.

6. 031

031 Registered Member

Online Armor free with nod-32 antivirus. Often i change the av ( avast or avira ) but OA is always there.

7. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Changed things around a bit, I'm now just using Prevx and WinPatrol most of the time. Instead of relying on Sandboxie when doing lots of browsing to unfamiliar sites, I am booting up with Puppy Linux live boot disk, which takes just a minute when everything is set up.

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Currently run G-Data I.S. 2011...waiting for a soon to be released 2012...and Malwarebytes...both real-time. So far a harmonious coupling. Sincerely...Securon

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Waiting the excellent BufferZone Pro v4.0 Beta!

I believe that the BufferZone Pro + Hitman Pro is the best combination that could find.

The best is free!

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Seeing that WinPat is a retread of ~2003 security technology, it's "better than nothing", but (IMO) it isn't worth the wasted CPU cycles if you are running OA, or OP, or PFW, or Comodo FW w/ D+, or the like.

11. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I'll say Sandboxie and AntiVir. Or any other light AV.

I'm currently using Sandboxie and AntiVir with Win7 firewall setup for outbound control.

12. justenough

Funny you should mention CPU cycles, that is exactly why I am using WinPatrol instead of the others you mention. I could be wrong, and would definitely like to know it if I am, but it seems that WinPatrol is light on resources, just checking in a second, maybe once a minute or so, on the lastest activity. With how I use the computer, I don't feel I need a full-bore HIPS, so I settled on WP as a good compromise.

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

yes me 2 waiting for it...

14. lonelywolf

lonelywolf Registered Member

Re: If running only 2 security programs real-time, what would you choose?

Spyware Doctor and DefenseWall.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I wish you the best of British luck. ;)

16. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

This :thumb: .

17. justenough

I'm looking forward to trying the 64 bit version of BufferZone that's coming out this year.

18. justenough

We have had this conversation a few times over the last year, bellgamin. I still don't understand why you think WinPatrol is inadequate. I would be the first to admit that I'm not knowledgeable enough about the inner workings of software to judge for myself what you've said about WP. What puzzles me though is if it is a weak program, why are so many people on Wilders that I also respect using it? Why does CNET give it 5 out of 5 stars? Why does it get 4.78 out of 5 from hundreds of people at MajorGeeks? Why does Ako, the author of the famous "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World" (http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/probably-best-free-security-list-world.htm), use WinPatrol Plus on both his 32 bit and 64 bit machines?

Ako categorizes WP as a "classical lightweight HIPS" which is exactly what I want, since for me a "classical strong HIPS" is too intrusive. I would still use WP if it were only an informational tool as some people here describe it. I looked at other informational tools, including the ones that you use and suggested to me, but they required more knowledge than I have or wouldn't work on 64 bit, and WP will and is more automated.

You have kindly offered me blessings in some of our private messages for which I am grateful. But when the topic of WinPatrol comes up, it is a wish for "the best of British luck" (OED: an expression of encouragement, often with the ironical implication that good luck will not be forthcoming). Having now had both real and ironic blessings, I think I prefer the non-ironic kind.;) But aside from that, it would be nice to have some clarity about why there is this difference of opinions on WinPatrol.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  19. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I use winpatrol on demand as "system info tools"

Since

OA 5 has registry protection too

I believe what bellgamin said is that using hips + winpatrol realtime is not necessary.

For someone like me who prefer security layer
    winpatrol is not useless at all, its still is a great additional tools

20. justenough

He said that to Blues7. I'm just running WinPatrol, not WP and another HIPS, and to me he said "I wish you the best of British luck", which means he thinks WP is inadequate for the job and that I'll have trouble down the line.

Bellgamin often criticizes WP when it is brought up. For instance, there is this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=281168. Bill Pytlovany is aware of bellgamin's long-standing criticisms. Bill says that WinPatrol is designed to be non-invasive, with a balance of risk vs performance in mind and that since most threats aim to control the machine and stay infected, he focuses on that area.

But as I said above, I would like to understand why so many knowledgeable people think WinPatrol is an excellent program if bellgamin is right and it is just a "retread of ~2003 security technology".

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Pardon to step into this discussion

Old wise man from Hawai is right in what he says, it is based on old win32 threats and post intrusion detection. It is not a HIPS,but a reasonable Intrusion Detection system.

Now for all people using Vista/Windows 7 with UAC and relying on IE (in protected mode) as their browser the WinPatrol plus with Creer's excellent registry protection setup (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293958) for people running UAC sort of covers the first user-space related first steps of staged intrusions. Add the PrevX safeoline freebie to it and the two (together with UAC and IE protected mode) will provide fair to say good protection for average PC users.

When someone would ask me hey, I have a Windows7 with UAC on, with Winpatrol and PrevXSOL facebook, what else? I Would say when you have a router and a decent (freebie) AV, you are well protected.

I think that is why Winpatrol is so popular and sort of does the job. It is just enough to surf safely :)

When you are on x32 freebies like Malware Defender, Spyshelter and Bufferzone Pro (free) provide far more robust protection, I say Bellgamin is right. When you have D+ or OA or Outpost free what is the added protection of WP, questionable I would say.

There is no yes or no, worong or right in this discussion.

22. justenough

I'm glad you stepped in, Kees1958, that gives me a direction in which to rethink what seemed like a contradiction.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I use WinPatrol with Defence+, because after allowing something with D+, it doesn't monitor the program anymore. WinPatrol will detect what important modifications the program made.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sandboxie and a good AV, thats all most need.

25. justenough

Loaded the 'Experimental' version of Sandboxie that works better with 64 bit. My other real-time program is Prevx SOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.