If running only 2 security programs real-time, which combination would you choose?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by justenough, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

The ones I'm using right now: Kaspersky ans PrevX.

2. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

None, preferably, but on XP Home; Hostsman HostsServer and trust-No-EXE

(Does SuRun count? If so, I'll lose the HostsServer)

3. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

Norton 360 5.0 & Sandboxie. :thumb:

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Puzzled ?

"Sandboxie and WinPatrol Plus" ? That looks like two AV+AM programs. Where is the Firewall ? That would make three security programs.

Sandboxie in my opinion is as good as you can get at present, it is practically water tight, but you also need an AV and FW. So with SBxie, it is THREE programs.

My suggestion ? See my signature.

John

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Since the OP mentions 'real-time', any combination of these would do for me:

SRP/Applocker + Comodo Defense+
    SRP/Applocker + Sandboxie
    SRP/Applocker + Returnil/Shadow Defender
    SRP/Applocker + Avast/Avira
    SRP/Applocker + Outbound Firewall

Sandboxie + Comodo Defense+
    Sandboxie + Returnil/Shadow Defender
    Sandboxie + Avast/Avira
    Sandboxie + Outbound Firewall

Returnil/Shadow Defender + HIPS
    Returnil/Shadow Defender + Avast
    Returnil/Shadow Defender + Outbound Firewall

By Outbound Firewall, I mean Windows Firewall with Advanced Security or any other 3rd-party firewall. I also prefer the 2 apps to have 64-bit support even if I'm running 32-bit. And it must run fine under UAC/LUA...otherwise, forget it - I won't bother.

6. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

Windows already has a firewall, so do most hardware routers, so no additional overheads there, really.

I think the question is more likely to mean 'additional applications that are noticeably resident'

7. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

DefenseWall Personal Firewall, and maybe a lightweight AV - although at the moment I am happy only running DefenseWall :)

8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

And then there's Windows Defender. I probably don't have that turned off at the moment. So the original question should be: "If running only 2 security programs real-time (not counting the ones that come with Windows), which combination would you choose?"

Are you sure we need a real-time AV? Some people get by fine without one. I go back and forth about it. If you are pro-AV, then it can be one of your two.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. justenough

Trying one of safeguy's suggestions, Sandboxie and an outbound firewall, Privatefirewall.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  10. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Sandboxie and Norton Internet Security/Norton Antivirus.

11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

CIS and Zemana. And Scotty stays no matter how many choices are offered.

12. lws

lws Registered Member

Trying out a new combo of CIS firewall defense+ and Geswall.

13. John Bull

My statement is based on what many "experts" have said on Forum`s and the web. Not all my ops are sandboxed, OE, FF,IE and some other programs run outside my beloved SBxie. I could force them into the sandbox, but do not bother. It is not a very common practice of mine to vacate Mr.Tzuk and his magic box, usually a matter of convenience and I am careful when I do it.

AND as most reputable AV programs do not have a conflict with SBxie there is no harm done. Any effects on SBxie and they are OUT !

John

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So you don't sandbox your browser or your email client... that is, you "could", but you "do not bother". Okay. How about your PDF viewer and your media player? Do you bother to sandbox them? :cautious:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@John Bull: What do you sandbox then?

16. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Same here.

17. John Bull

If you read my notes carefully, you will know what I sandbox, making your question somewhat redundant. I thought I had explained it clearly, but just for you :-

99.9% of my Internet activity is done using SBxie to open my Firefox browser. The rest you can get from reading my previous posts.

My spectrum of PC playschool activity is quite normal and reflective of personal choice, which I presume we all enjoy.

John

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Then why did you say this?:

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, detective work!
    Why you guys bashing each other :)

I think that's the 0.01% of the 99.99% :D

20. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Its only a clarification :D

Btw... EAM+LnS

21. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

the one's on my siggy + prevx

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  22. John Bull

It is rather tedious to keep explaining this point. NOTHING runs outside the sandbox UNLESS I allow it and as I have made it clear already - some activity is allowed by ME. That is why an AV program is necessary, which does no harm to SBxie or interfere with it.

SBxie is NOT an AV or AM program, it is a virtual platform on which all players are allowed, but cannot get off it. These players are vaporised on SBxie shutdown. You know this as well if not better than me.

Please let us get away from converting the OP into a scrutiny and clinical analysis of JB`s security combination and operational activity.

John

23. justenough

I'm not sure what the confusion is. Firefox is never run in Sandboxie except when it is. Stop being redundant. What I wonder about is who are these experts who are really just 'experts'. EDIT: JB, I don't think the question is about what you have chosen for security, but rather what appears to be unclear wording in describing your set-up. Which can lead to having a bit of fun, but no harm meant. Glad that you like Sandboxie as much as I do.:thumb:

I keep trying to use an outbound firewall/HIPS, but the pop-ups are just too annoying. My problem is that nothing has gotten by Sandboxie yet, so the other programs don't have a lot to do. So as I go along, I don't feel it is necessary to put up with the inconvenience that some more robust programs can cause. So back to WinPatrol, which might not even be classified by some as anti-malware, but more an informational tool.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  24. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Sandboxie has you covered. IMO what your dealing with is,the wanting to "add more" to your comfort zone of security,when in reality,your good to go!

25. justenough

You are exactly right about this. Over the last year of using Sandboxie, I have gradually dropped some powerful programs. It has been a process of testing, dropping for instance a real-time AV for a while and running a couple of different on-demand scans every day. But then adding maybe a lighter AV for a while. Because Windows security seems complicated and hidden to me, it has been hard to know exactly what to get comfortable with. But a year of no infections sure helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.