If one does not use wireless is there difference between routers

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Saint Satin Stain, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    If one does not use wireless is there difference between routers? I know that there are differences such as some have usb ports and other hardware features. I do not use wireless. I would be happy with a router that didn't have wireless as long as the wired worked well.

Are there good only wired routers?

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I dont no much about them,but from some reading there about the same except some have gigabit ports for faster transfer and a premium price tag.IMO look for the least expensive with the highest customer rating.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well the wired one wouldn't broadcast a wireless signal, obviously, so therefore no need for WPA encryption, which makes you more secure by default (the vector doesn't exist).

You might want to think about buying a wireless router anyway though. You can just disable the wireless broadcast, then bam... you've essentially got a wired router. Then later on if you ever want to set up a wireless network you don't have to buy a new router. And you might want to get one with SPI too.

NetGear Wireless-N makes a good, affordable wireless router with SPI, and you can easily disable the wireless broadcast by the push of a button on the side of the router, or in the web config.

Wired - I'd go with a Linksys/Cisco.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I forget where, but I seen a cisco for $400.00,Good gosh that is more then some laptops.

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

An old BEFSR41 Linksys router has no radio, has four ports for devices, works great if you can still get them. And if you decide to go wireless, you can plug the wireless router into the old one and have fun with double routering :)

6. m0unds

m0unds Guest

if you want something with near-enterprise-grade functionality (including mpls, ospf, packet inspection, spi, vlans, super-granular packet scheduling & qos, etc) for less than you might pay for some "high-performance" consumer routers, check out mikrotik routerboard stuff. lots of reputable vendors sell pre-assembled models (board + chassis + psu) for less than $150. they have some models with built-in wireless radios (2.4/5GHz on some)

two such vendors are roc-noc and baltic networks. a good model is the rb450g, it has 5GbE ports, runs routeros (as all mikrotik routing devices do) and has no wlan radio.

if you're not in to configuring via command line, they offer a free winbox utility that has a windows UI that allows you to configure the device.

these units are great if you're familiar with networking, they're not as user friendly as linksys/netgear/et al, but are significantly more powerful. just figured i'd throw this out there as an option if it was something you might be interested in investigating. it's Good Stuff (tm) (i sound like i work for them, but i'm a happy customer.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.