If one cannot detect how it can protect/prevent?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StrangerGuy, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Funnily enough i am fixing my nan up with AV on her PC. For simplicity and passing your "do you trust SVHOST.EXE or not?" or not test, i was going to go for MSE. Not the best for detection, but simple as pie and few FPs. Am i overlooking any other AV that is really easy/quiet/low FPs?

2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Panda Cloud after the initial full scan: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=337128

3. itman

itman Registered Member

I agree with this. However, I wonder how many people ended up with Google Chrome installed from the the latest Adobe Flashplayer download because they missed the obscure box checked by default during the install?

4. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Passive Protection (Behavior Analysis & Virtualization):
    (1) Some security vendors look at the behavior of known and yes, theoretical threats (some of which they write themselves). This is the equivalent of looking at past break-ins and asking yourself how might a burglar break into this/my home. Then you setup a line of defenses, or sensors at possible points of entry. Of course, in the case of malicious code ... it has to actually set off the trap by performing an known/expected malicious action/trigger. Correctly me if I'm wrong, but I believe the proper term for these triggers is hooks.

(2) Other security vendors focus on isolating components of the separating system in order to isolate critical core components from other less critical components. Sand-boxing, Virtual Machines, Live Disks, and heavier visualization options are all viable options already listed in the forum.

If I made a mistake or missed anything let me know. I'm still learning the in and out of this stuff myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.