If my wife uses my computer and infects it, is it still my fault?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

LUA separate user account + Sandboxie is just as good as a VM in my opinion =p

Just have explorer sandboxed. Probably not as secure but lighter on resources.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My experience with my wife and family is that they don't like sandboxie at all. They don't understand what it does and don't really want to learn. "where is my document at" "where is my pciture at" is all I hear.

VM solves those issue when they use my machine, which is very rare now. They can plink away the way they are used to, and I don't have to worry about what they do.

I wish more people actually wanted to understand some basics. Sandboxie is not a hard thing to understand, but for some reason many novice users simply don't care enough to learn. Sort of a common theme I see in people and computers.

Sul.

EDIT: lighter on resources is no longer a concern with 2600k and 16gb ram. Actually, it wasn't on e6700 c2d and 4gb ram either ;)

3. Hungry Man

Yeah, I get you. VM would certainly be fine on that hardware.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Of course its your fault. You should have had it secured in the first place. :D

5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Its your fault most definitely, so just fix it, don't even bother telling her how you did it, just tell her its working again. Then make a decent System Backup image & keep it updated for the next disaster that comes your or her way. No, wives do not like security, I think if I put Sandboxie on her computer she would really get upset.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Um..next time use a rubber --oops I mean a Trojan.. um I mean better protection .. uh nvm.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Simple.
    It's your fault because you didn't take the time to teach her the proper and safe way to drive your car.
    Silly man.
    Hugger

8. Hungry Man

I assume she has a license. It's not your responsibility to teach her.

And this is where the analogy falls apart =p it's the governments job to license users. Computers just aren't cars.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Let's license computer users...I want another addition to my list of things to blame the government for :D

10. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

a) yes,it is - you chose to marry an infectious person :p
    b) you should keep it in a box full of mices :cool:
    c) buy another computer,just for her (like my cousin did in similar situation) :shifty:

Tuff Choices...

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First a comment, and then a philosophy.

The operative words in the question are if my wife uses MY computer. So it's your computer, and thus protective as appropriate.

Now for my philosophy. I make the assumption when evaluating my protection, that I will probably do the wrong thing.

So my browsers are sandboxed with SBIE. Can't access data. What can run and access the internet is restricted. Browsers are set to download to the desktop. So if I click on a bad link, not a big deal, it's sandboxed.

Next assume I download a bad file, don't realize it and take it to the desktop. Lets say it's an innocent file, designed to execute a hidden program. Appguard will block it from running on a desktop, I happen to just try and open it.

I also run Online Armor on my main machine. I get alerts, but again I assume I may make a mistake with these, and so if I do, am I still protected. Yep, that's why I have Appguard watching.

This approach has been tested.

I have other people using on of my computers and it has Malware Defender watching it. The people using it are responsible folks who know I am trusting them, and if MD throws a pop up they ask or call me and want to know what to do. Then I can look at it.

Hopefully the wife would be equally responsible. Is she aware, that her actions can infect the computer, and what the costs could be. Might be good to make her aware, and then help when there are questions.

Pete

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My wife and my son share a computer which I'm the administrator (but I don't use it). I used to have all sorts of problems in the past cleaning it as they are the type of users who are not interested in computer security, and will just click on anything.

I solved the problem with Shadow Defender and Returnil, scheduled to run on boot, no infections or other problems for more than 2 years (I do have a few images though, just in case the HDD might have a sudden death).

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Prudent choice! :thumb:
    Boot-to-Restore solutions,
    like Shadow Defender, Returnil, Deep Freeze etc.
    have been ideal for Average Home Users who need effective Security without User-Intervention.
    I've suggested/installed the 'Free Combo' (= Sanboxie + Returnil)
    to many friends, relatives, coworkers etc.
    and found...piece of mind...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.