If I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, can I remove Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which I update and run every day.

Do I also need Avira seeing I am using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

I also have Online Armor installed which I assume has HIPS and checks for virus and malware activity?

2. gery

gery Registered Member

Absolutely yes. At list the free version in my opinion. I think MBAM will not detect many variants of viruses and the HIPS component in OA still needs help that is way they added EMSISOFT Antimalware into their software. I know by experience that some viruses and malware even overpass the HIPS component
    ( had it happen once with an infected USB and it was the EMSISOFT malware on demand scanner that cought the trojans )

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Which version of Online Armor are you running - Free, Premium or ++ ? Free and Premium are FW/HIPS only, they do not 'check for virus and malware activity'. ++ includes Emsisoft Anti-Malware which is a comprehensive AV.

To answer your question, there is no absolute answer. It depends on your surf habits, your risk factors and your own technical ability. Many people on Wilders run without a realtime AV, including myself, but we tend to have other primary methods of protecting our PCs, e.g. Sandboxie, Defensewall, Returnil, as well as the protective capabilities built into the O/S (e.g. LUA, SRP, Applocker) and therefore we are less reliant on realtime AVs. If you are highly skilled with HIPS and understanding/interpreting their pop-ups then the existing setup you have may be fine, especially if you run as LUA/Standard User. If you are not highly skilled then you would probably want to run a realtime AV as well, unless you opt for an alternative form of primary protection, such as the aforementioned Sandboxie, Defensewall etc etc.

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

It is a very complicated situation because it depends on the user's knowledge and common sense.

You have a good firewall and HIPS, has an On-Demand Scanner that uses every day, I only recommend that you run the Default Account and some kind of anti-keylogger.

See:

Online Armor (I suppose that is the Free version): Firewall + HIPS
    MBAM (Runs once a day): Detection and removal of various viruses
    Prevx SafeOnline (If you decide you chose this protection): Detection of infections + Anti-Keylogger

No more anything.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, you should. MBAM does not have the coverage of a full antivirus like AVIRA and OA free has a very limited coverage for detection of viruses or malware.

6. century

century Registered Member

Yes, Yes & Yes - You need an antivirus. It is not proper to mention any particular AV here, but any good one will do. Why take chances man? Browsing through this forum posts will give you an idea of good & bad AVs - select one. It is better to add extra RAM than going without at least a free AV - if that is applicable in your case.

7. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I'm using MSE with MBAM pro. Great combo.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

All of the guys above have their own valid points...

I'll personally say that since you asked this question, it probably means that you are still unsure/uncomfortable of your setup. That is not a good sign and purely based on that assumption alone, I'll say keep Avira (or any other AV) with you till you're fully (or nearly) confident of running without a real-time AV.

An AV might be outdated concept for some folks here (and they're right in their own ways and reasoning) but I'm pretty sure that most of these same folks started out with running an AV first and learning their way through before finally ending up not running one anymore.

Once you're really comfortable with the idea/notion, then ditch AV if that's your ultimate aim. Do not do so simply because someone else said that "XXX technology" is better than an AV cause that would be similar to comparing apple to oranges...although they're both fruits, they taste differently.

9. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Thread title: If I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, can I remove Avira?

OP question: Do I also need Avira seeing I am using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

Answer: Yes. Wait, I mean no.;)

Or maybe the answer is maybe. My own goal is to eventually ditch real-time protection in favor of virtualization and system image. But I need a lot more experience before doing it, so I keep what I think is the minimum for my level of understanding.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yes, you still need Avira or at least some Antivirus!

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

MBAM Pro, SAS Pro etc. are AV Complements; not AV Replacements!

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Agreed. I would not even consider running without a good AV, and am persuaded that it is necessary to run something like MBAM alongside for rogues..

Regards,
    Jerry

13. century

century Registered Member

You explained your point beautifully.
    I write to say that I am starting to admire you.

14. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

I believe you still need an AV. I tried it once with Avast free. I had already the Mbam Pro and I told myself what the heck-- remove Avast free. The result got infected. Did not try it again when I transfered to APSS ver9. They augment each other IMHO and they play quite well together. Online Armor is good but if the freeware then you will definitely need Avira dude.

Of course and as the guys mentioned, if you have other security softwares around (e.g. Sandboxie, Geswall, Defensewall, Returnil...) and most especially if you are using LUA/SRP then you definitely can be on the lighter side. Seems you want to go for a light layer but unsure. It's how you use your pc especially during on-line.

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Why do you believe a person needs an AV?

I have used PC's for 20 years and never been infected with an AV.

How does a person get an AV, and where do they get it from?

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Don't mind me answering this question...

People don't get infected by/with AV...they get infected by viruses/malware/whatever-you-want-to-call it.:p

As for how they get it: Come on....you know where (and why) they get it from. Cut the pretense;)

But it's not always the user's fault, at least not in my opinion.

One can do without 'detection' in a security setup if one is critically good at the 'prevention' part. But unfortunately, most users out there still need to depend on 'detection' to save their butt...

The benefit/role of an AV is that it is one technology (again 'outdated' to some folks seeing that the argument it's a catch-up game with constant adding of signatures, apart from heuristics that causes FPs) that might just save a certain percentage of dumb and foolish mistakes that most users (esp. non-geeks) are prone to without having them to learn certain things...the "intelligence" part is served by that AV itself therefore requiring less user-intervention or knowledge by the end-user.

Some may not agree with me but in the traditional sense...an AV is taken upon as a simple download, install and forget (unless you face certain problems with your AV software or you like to tinker with the settings) All you have to do then is go about your business (taking risks along the way) and wait for that assuring little pop-up saying "I've just blocked Trojan: Mama Mia for you dude" or "I've caught this Mojojo trying to snoop in..do you want him in?" even though you know deep inside that your AV isn't going to catch everything...

We've got to remember that not all here are of the same class/standards and each of us have different computing habits/practices. There are different ways/routes to reach a destination...perhaps it's best for us to leave that to the driver/rider to decideo_O 20 years without infection is credible and applaud-able :thumb: :thumb: but there are guys here who're just starting out with only let's say perhaps 2 months experience after getting infected...

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

All depends upon the person behind the keyboard.

I've been without an AV for 2 1/2 years,guess what-no issues.

18. stratoc

stratoc Guest

It's happening already, but I think traditional anti virus needs a complete re think. I think multi engine AV's are a bad idea after watching that you tube clip showing one scanning using 5oo meg ram and 300 just idling.
    I think Virtualisation and stand alone scanner maybe the way. A lot of previously light solutions are now heavier on system than the malware they are protecting against.
    I too have never had an infection that wasnt a minor 5 minute clean up.
    Gaming pc has 64 bit windows,router, windows firewall, mbam (scanner only) clam av (scanner only)
    I would never build a pc who's main function is to support security software.
    best security IMHO is an external hard drive or and sand box.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have never had an infection in my 16 years of using a computer. I have had several attempts to penetrate, but my AV blocked them.

Those who do not think an AV is necessary, do you use anything? If you use sandboxes and such for me an AV + MBAM is easier and simpler.

It seems to me that the great majority of users do in fact need an AV, and if not then they are infections waiting to happen.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

lol. Sorry had to laugh. :)

21. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

:D lmao indeed made my day too:D

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Priceless :D

23. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Infected with AV? What? You can be infected with virus, not AV (antivirus).

24. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

ROFL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.