If I use KDE, will I be stuck with KDE-specific apps?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

^ topic.

I guess I'm kind of bored of GNOME, and want to see what KDE has to offer (thinking of downloading the KDE version of Fedora right now, but will gladly accept suggestions on this as well). I just don't want to be stuck with, say, Konqueror instead of Firefox... or at least be given a choice.

Thanks in advance.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

You can use Gnome appas in KDE and vice versa. No problem.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    if you already have fedora installed just open up a terminal type su type in your root password. then type "yum install @kde-desktop"
    without the speech marks

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You know, that set me thinking, and after some googling apparently you can install a KDE frontend for Ubuntu as well without having to switch distros or reinstall.

Thanks for the tip!

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

your welcome

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, just install the metapackage kubuntu-desktop if you want the standard KDE apps included, or kde-core without the standard apps.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Just finished the install 10 minutes ago. It's feeling like a whole new adventure right now. :D

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Congratulations :) Just forgot to add that it might be necessary to add language-pack-kde-* and language-pack-kde-*-base (replace * with your language code).

Another hint: Kubuntu 8.10 uses KDE 4.1 as default. If you want to use KDE 4.2 you should add

##intrepid-backports
    deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse

to your repositories. If you want to use KDE 4.2.1 you should add

##experimental PPA
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main

But, as the name implies, the latter packages are not necessarily 100% stable (although I'm not having any problems).

In any case before upgrading from one KDE version to another it is recommended to
    1. log out from KDE
    2. switch with Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the console
    3. stop the X-server with
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    4. perform the upgrade with
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(provided that you had made the changes above in your sources.list - otherwise edit it with sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly)
    5. restart the system with
      sudo init 6

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

In terms of looks, KDE blows GNOME out of the water. But there seems to be some places where it falls short in my two hours of toying around with it: no Adobe Flash plugin for Konqueror, poor multi-language support, no Compiz settings, and I really, really hate Kopete.

Guess I'm shelving KDE until next weekend until I have time to explore around, and it's back to GNOME for now. GNOME may look like Windows XP with a bit too much makeup, but at least I know my way around it fairly well.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If I remember right, you have to download the flash file from Adobe and extract it, then tell Konqueror where to look for it in the options... Just takes a little extra work.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw KDE4 has its own desktop effects in the control panel.
    you would need to install compiz manually if you want it. plently of tutorials around.

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Haven't tried KDE yet, except for several apps. like K3B and Kshowmail.
    But Gnome can be nice too. There are literally hundreds of themes, icons and
    icon themes available to change the look to what you are happy with.
    For instance I have just changed my icon theme and wall paper - got bored
    with the previous one - to this one (simple and only takes a few minutes)...
    http://files.myopera.com/ocky/files/B&W New.jpg

Scroll down the image to see what I think about Wilders. :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I guess aesthetics are up to one's own tastes. What caught my eye in Kubuntu was the "taskbar", desktop widgets, and the glass-like desktop folder view. Vista-ish without looking like it's trying too hard to be Vista (yes, I like how Vista looks). The search box in the KDE "start menu" was a nice touch as well, it was one of the things I really liked in Vista.

As far as GNOME themes go, I've tried quite a few in my one month of using Ubuntu so far, and sadly none of them really feel "right", so to speak. I was a stickler for visual styles too when I used XP, and spent a considerable amount of time looking and discarding until I finally learned how to make my own.

14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

KDE uses Adept as its package management software. I suggest installing Synaptic package and dumping the use of Adept - it could not even find g++, whereas it was available with Synaptic using the same /etc/apt/sources.list file.

-- Tom

P.S. Does anyone know how to make the background image funtion as the Desktop, i.e. like in Gnome for /home/ubuntu/Desktop folder. The current Desktop is a transparent window of that folder which I know how to get to not display, but I do not know how to make the background image function like a Desktop - i.e. display icons for the files.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you can only have a traditional desktop in KDE 4.2
    just right click on the desktop ,properties or something like that and then find the option "desktop view or folder view"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.