If I shut off ZA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I'm very unhappy with ZASS because of the poor ranking of its antivirus. In a few weeks, they are updating it to KAV.
    In the meantime, can I shut down the antivirus in ZA and use the free Antivir?
    Should I also shut down ZA's antispyware too or leave it running?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The Av is considered competent and running the antispyware component can't hurt. ZASS seems like a decent product to me. I used the Zonealarm with AV till my licence expired at which time I bought a router and NOD.

3. fred128

Thanks for your reply. Reading this forum has made me paranoid.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Fred:
    I also have ZA Pro. I got it only for the firewall in and out functions and I'm happy with it
    For AV I have BD 9 and for SS for ASW. Those are my active screens.

I turn off the AV of SS and turn off the ASW of ZA pro. You can do the same as I do but use the free Antivir

As to turning off the ASW in your ZA don't do it unless you have another active ASW program in place.

I understand Antivir has some screens for ASW so that may be enough for your situation.

If you are behind a router you are probably okay.

Once a month I run the SS and the ZA scanners as on demand scanners then turn them off again.

Don't be paranoid a lot of what you read here is from special situations and high risk surfers.

Bon Chance

5. fred128

Again, thank you. I did download Antivir and turned off ZoneAlarm's anti-virus. I just want this until They upgrade their anti-virus to Kasperskey anti-virus. I left the antispyware function in ZoneAlarm on.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am using ZASS as well, but turned off its AV and AS for the same reasons you have. For AV part, I installed Avast home (free), for AS I have AVG AS plus and SuperAntispyware. Just to remind you that Antivir free version does not have e mail scanner (where e mail is a major source of virus infection), and it does conflict w/ Avast (preventing Avast from loading some shields). Good Luck.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Good point on the email viruses.

Fred, since you left the ASW in ZA on, you should enable the email scan both in and out.

On mine I let BD9 scan incoming and let ZA scan the outgoing email only

Carry on the good fight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.