If I have SP2 do I need SP1?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by squash, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

If I use a Windows XP computer with no service pack whatsoever, is it alright to install SP2 direct on or will I need to install SP1 first then install SP2. Yes this seems like a noobish question, but it's legit. Yes or no?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you get the sp2 from windows update you will get sp1 also if your comp doesn't have it. And if you have an sp2 cd from microsoft it also has sp1 on it but if you have sp2 stand alone install, yes you will have to install sp1 first.

bigc

3. squash

squash Registered Member

Excellent, I ordered the CD. Thanks for explaining.

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Actually, I think that all service packs are cumulative. You shouldn't ever need to install a prior service pack version before installing the most current version.

5. bigc73542

Not entirely true with sp1 and sp2 but since he has ordered the cd it will have everything he needs on it.

(edit) I stand partially corrected, after MS offered sp2 on cd all of the files that are required for sp2 to install from sp1 were added at that time so in effect you don't need sp1 installed to install sp2

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

"Microsoft Windows XP updates are distributed in service packs. Service packs help keep Windows XP current, and extend and update the functionality of your computer. Service packs are cumulative. Each new service pack contains all the fixes that are included with earlier service packs and any new fixes. You do not have to install an earlier version of a service pack before you install the latest version. For example, if you have already installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you do not have to install Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a)."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322389

Regards,

CrazyM

7. squash

squash Registered Member

Excellent.

This is what I liked about Windows. Everything... just works! :)

8. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Wow you are lucky lots of times people have problems with Microsoft Windows.

9. bigc73542

I am another person that likes windows, xp that is. I have had pretty good luck with it.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.