If I give Windows 8 my email and cellphone number, can I still be anonymous with it?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I recently bought a Windows 8 laptop. I found it annoying that it requires my personal info. But let's be honest, the laptop is purely for work stuff. So I don't see anything wrong with providing it with personal info. And I don't plan on surfing anonymously with that laptop. My current laptop--which uses Windows 7--is for anonymous surfing. The reason I bought another laptop is so that I can have another laptop for regular day use. And this one would be solely for my anonymous surfing. I hope this makes sense.

Having another laptop also exponentially increases my productivity, since I spend too much time on this laptop anonymously surfing and posting.

I returned my previous Windows 8 laptop since I was disgusted by the fact it asked for personal info. But I regret doing this because I should have bought that laptop and used it for my everyday work. While this laptop would be solely reserved for my anonymous hobbies.

2. guest

guest Guest

My Windows 8 didn't ask me for my personal infos. Did you use the Microsoft account? Use the local account instead.

As to your original question, the answer would be... no. Especially if your operator ask for your civil ID card number.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

IP. XXX.XXX.XXX is connecting to XXX.XXX.XXX, ID number "Email" "Phone". -> Send: Microsoft Genuine Improvement Program. OPT-IN.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If you're only going to use it for work stuff then I suggest you just make a local account. Creating/using a Microsoft account is only if you're interesting in the features it provides e.g. syncing features such as bookmarks, wallpaper, system settings, lock screen picture, language preferences or buying metro apps.

You can make your Microsoft account more secure by using the additional authentication methods such as adding your phone number or using a digital authenticator. These are familiar security practices that other companies also provide, however, they are not required.

5. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the advice. I returned the laptop. I will buy it again and implement your suggestions.

6. elapsed

That's a bit extreme but I guess that works. :p

Windows 8 comes with hard reset functionality you can use to restore the OS to factory defaults. So you'd be going through the initial setup stages again. Just an FYI.

7. DesuMaiden

So if I use a fake throw away cell phone number and other fake personal info, then I can use Windows 8 anonymously?

Now I would like to buy a Windows 8 laptop. Uninstall Windows 8 from the host OS. Install Linux as the host OS. And run a bunch of Virtual Machines.

8. elapsed

Is this not pretty much the exact question you already asked, and that I already answered? You do not need to enter your phone number at all. If you insist on using a Microsoft account and it asks for a phone number, you can skip it entirely.

That depends on if the laptop supports secure boot UEFI. If it does, you'll need to disable it to run Linux, or you can run a Linux distro that supports secure boot.

If the laptop doesn't support secure boot then you can run anything you want on it. But I'd write down then Windows 8 key for future use, as part of the laptop payment will include the Windows license.

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Just select 'Local Account' on the screen where it *looks* like you need to enter an email address. Very sneaky MS, very sneaky.

PD

10. DesuMaiden

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to give MS any personal info. They already spying enough on me.

11. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I can't play Microsoft solitaire collection without MS account :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.