If exe file suspected 2 be trojan not doubleclicked,will it pose threat if inside pc?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by studentguru2, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studentguru2

studentguru2 Registered Member

An .exe file sitting in my hard drive is suspected to be a trojan or some kind of malware .

I think it is a trojan or malware of some kind.

To be precise, here is what ewido tells me what it is :
    Backdoor.Agent.agu

The question is:
    If I do not double click it , if I leave it alone , will it pose any threat?

Does it make any difference if it is a trojan and not other types of malware?

Thank you very much for viewing and answering.

As you can tell, I am pretty clueless about computer.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

To cause problems the trojan would need to be run. If you are using the full version of ewido (ie with realtime protection) then you will not be able to run the file by double clicking since ewido's Guard would intercept the file at that point.

If a malware file is executed and installs itself, it can make many detrimental changes to the system, but it would need to run at every bootup to give ongoing problems. Usually startups will be achieved via the Registry.

There is a certain amount of overlap between malware types, but when run, pure trojans will create their own files but cannot reproduce themselves, whilst a true virus injects its code into system files and is self replicating. Yours is stated to be a backdoor, see here:-

http://www.viruslist.com/en/virusesdescribed?chapter=152540521

It would not be desirable to leave such a file on your system, I've not the slightest idea what else could get it running.

Having said all that, what exactly was found, what is the precise file path of the malware?

3. studentguru2

studentguru2 Registered Member

Re: If exe file suspected 2 be trojan not doubleclicked,will it pose threat if inside

Thank you very much for answering.

I am kind of embarassed to mention the software path.

It is a piece of winrar software an even more clueless friend has downloaded from peer to peer to her computer.

C:\WinRAR v3.60 - Final (full)[yahaa.org]\WinRAR.and.DosRAR.v3.60.Final.Bosnian.Cracked-CFF\wrar360ba.exe/Dev.exe -> Backdoor.Agent.agu : No action taken.

Yes, she has the full ewido . That she is willing to pay full price to save her from herself.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I'd delete it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.