If all your internal hard drive storage failed right here, right now. Can you restore system and dat

Discussion in 'polls' started by markymoo, Feb 1, 2011.

?

Have you got a external backup?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2011.
  1. Yes i'm covered.

47 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No all my data is gone for good.

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. I have more than one external backup.

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. I'm fine I have a internet backup.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

100% here. Both internal drives backed up to externals.

Pete

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have backup images to all PC's to multiple external drives. The only danger I have is all the external drives are in the same location so if there was a fire or other natural disaster I would loss everything. I'm looking at offsite data backup, but it would be very expensive to backup the large amount of data I have.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, you're almost ready for a nuke :D

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Funny that. A long time ago I had a hdd fail, this was before cd burners or flash memory. It was a 640mb hdd. I lost some stuff that mattered to me.

I started using multiple drives, and started imaging as well with Ghost. What I do now is habitual. I have not lost data like that since, only from my own error. I don't often change things much these days, but sometimes add things like the NAS.

All in all, yes, much could go wrong and my really important "stuff" would be OK. I regard my families digital photos and videos as the most important data. I don't think it is overkill at all. I have an USB 500gb hdd that I put all that stuff on too. It is convenient to have it in digital format instead of the old negatives because I can take ALL my photos off-site so easily, and it become so much more safe.

Sul.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1 on that one
    I'm not really that paranoid about HDD's failure because most of the things i have are games, saves and music.
    I don't have a single family pictures, videos but if i had, i would really make sure to backup all my stuff to at least 2-3 devices :D

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

2 external backups in the comp. room
    1 external backup in the bedroom
    1 external backup always with me
    Multiple sets of dvds with important data

And so forth ... :)

Mrk

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have come to realize over the years that archiving softwares I like is of some importance. Sites like FileHippo help, but if you lose the version you paid for, or just the version that you liked the best, sometimes it can be hard to find them again.

Sul.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha true.
    The things that i currently consider important in my backups are my music, the collection is not that big, but over the years. i've forgotten like 90% of the names :D (I've never been a fan of any special artists, it's all randomly mixed)
    Specially my classical music. :argh:

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Internal Raid-1 on one machine
    external images
    WHS
    and a NAS Raid-6 box

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, system and data to external and internal h/drives and data to USB drives, with more important stuff on Truecrypt-encrypted partitions.

11. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Nope, I cannot do it.:mad:

12. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

i'm covered 110%. I have two drives (second internal drive in laptop) and (internal desktop drive in external drive enclosure) with a disk image and important files on both.

13. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Image backup to external, documents/videos/music/photos backed up to 2 different externals.

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Not before, but now I could completely restore my data via Macrium Reflect and with the ease of Microsoft SyncToy can I keep my data synchronized completely with my external hard drive. : D

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, all important data on external usb drive, with system images also.

16. SplinterCell

SplinterCell Registered Member

I backup the backups of my backups and move them off site. All except the first backup are kept in fireproof/data safes. So, hopefully if I can't restore right here, right now, I can restore at another location. Image and/or files!

17. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

+ 1

I naturally always think of good and better questions after setting up poll.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm good. No way I would have only 1 copy of anything important. This is a hard lesson to teach people. Of course I am the one they call when they do lose it. All I can say is, should have listened to me. o_O

19. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Now:

I could completely restore my data via Keriver 1-Click Restore and with the ease of Microsoft SyncToy can I keep my data synchronized completely with my external hard drive. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.