IESPYAD-changed screen resolution?!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jayzzz, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I was about to install the new IESPYAD, but as soon as I clicked on it--before it was installed--my computer clicked, the monitor went black and then came back with all icons bigger, as if the screen resolution had been changed. As soon as I closed the file, resolution returned to normal without even the usual scrambling of icon locations on the desktop.

I reinstalled the previous version for now. Could find no mention of this by anyone else, so...any ideas on what happened and why?

I used the original version rather than the new one, but the icon looks different than it usually does, with an extra box/square around it. I've got XP Home, SP1 with IE6 in a Dell Dimensions 2350.

Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you first tell us exactly which of the 4 available files was used? IE-SPYAD.EXE, IE-SPYAD.ZIP, IE-SPYAD2.EXE or IE-SPYAD2.ZIP. My assumption is you meant the newest IE-SPYAD2.EXE given the context stated.

My initial wild guess is that the issue is related to the file association on your system for self-extracting archive files (.exe based ones), and something in that association is what did it.

In spite of the screen change, when you opened the files what exactly showed on the screen? Was it a dialog about "WinZip Self Extractor" or something else?

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It was IE-SPYAD.EXE, just after uninstalling the previous version...NOT the new one. I didn't proceed. I backed out and counted myself lucky I could. I saw the dialogue for unzipping it, but had not yet done so.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  4. LowWaterMark

Okay, so the dialog was the usual extract one, like in my image below right?

You said the icon for the file is different. Can you give us a screen image of it - just as it sits on disk there? (Not running it again, just a view of the icon on the file. That may provide some information. As I said, it could be you have a different file association now for self-extracting archives, or perhaps something else is filtering your access to EXE files. You may need to look in-depth at the file association, but for now an image of the icon might help.)

Attached Files:

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Yes...be right back.

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I was wrong about the different look. I usually put it right into the "for IE-SPYAD" folder in my downloads file, but this time I put it right on the desktop as an interim measure because I hadn't yet renamed the previously downloaded one. However, when I moved the previous version onto the desktop, it looked the same as this latest did. So it looks different depending on where I put it, slightly. There's no longer a point to seeing it, is there?

7. LowWaterMark

No, probably not.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss regarding what this is then. A previous EXE based IE-SpyAd kit opened fine and was extractable after the incident described above. That new file caused an odd display change, once, but still only brought you to the same self-extractor dialog box. I'm guessing either a fluke occurrence that might not repeat if tried the way you normally used to do these (from other folder versus desktop), or maybe a corrupt download on the new kit. Perhaps downloading it again and opening it from the folder would be best. The file I just pulled down from there is fine.

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Will try downloading again, as I've been doing the same thing for every update since around last December. This hadn't even had a chance to actually unzip; all I did was get ready to unzip it!

9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I downloaded the .zip version rather than the .exe version and that caused no problem. So I'll just figure it was probably corrupt and hope I don't have to look into it in the future. Thanks very much for the advice.

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re: IE/SPYAD-changes screen resolution?!

That same thing happened again, yesterday, when I downloaded that file type, again. I never claimed I had much of a memory... :rolleyes: :oops: However, I very much enjoyed the '60s and '70s...into the '80s. :D

I got a screen snapshot of the two IE/SPYAD files on my desktop. The one on the left, with properties to its left is the weird one. If I right-click and select anything but properties, my monitor goes black with a click, and comes back on in abnormally low resolution...with everything huge. When I close it, the monitor goes black again with the same sound, returning to the way it was before. None of the desktop icons are disturbed by the process, as happens at most other times when the resolution is changed. :doubt:

Again, as at other times, I hope someone knows and will tell me whether this to be expected for some obscure reason OR a possible sign of corruption in my system. I've got XP Home SP1, in a Dell Dimensions 2350 w/ AVG Free, SPF, IE/SPYAD, eDexter, Enough is Enough, MVPS HOSTS, SpywareBlaster, Spybot's immunizations, WinPatrol, Webshots desktop...and can't think of anything else relevant...which doesn't mean there isn't anything.

Maybe I should just avoid the file type, but there has to be a reason it's happening. No...there might be a reason. I've learned that not everything in this medium makes sense. ;)

Attached Files:

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have IEspyad on my desktop PC. I was just about to download and install it on a new notebook but read this post o_O I would be grateful if someone would advise if this is a general issue with IEspyad now or was it just a fluke as I am worried now :'(

12. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

The thread has gotten very little response, so I doubt it's a general issue. It's happened to me twice, both times when I tried to use the .exe file rather than the .zip file.

The reaction of my computer was temporary, as I explained below, w/o any sign it messed anything up:
    Unless somebody else says something different, I wouldn't worry about downloading if I were you.

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the reply; I had never read about anything like this happening before this is why I hesitated when setting my security layers on my notebook. I will watch this post and if nothing more is reported IESpyad will be on as it is on this ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.