IE9 Security

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hakuna Matata, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Registered Member

Looking to get confirmation that what I'm finding is correct, or for a friendly slap upside the head asking me what hell I'm thinking :D

Knowing full well Microsoft's general ineptitude when it comes to Internet Explorer, I'm thinking of going back to it as my primary browser with IE9 (on Windows 7). When I've read information on IE9 specifically, it seems to be holding up very secure (particularly once you set the ActiveX filter on as default). Most of the negatives relate to past versions.

I do use Chrome as well, and I think they are pretty even as far as security goes, but the fewer pieces of software running the better IMHO.

2. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

In Windows 7, I'd say they are both well secured, although IE will be a more common target.

From what I've seen though, most people are usually swayed by browsing preferences more than anything else. I'd use whatever you enjoy using more..

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Add your browser process to EMET and you're pretty much fine whichever you choose.

4. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

IE9 has one of the best built-in scanners (smartscreen filter) compared to other browsers.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I personally prefer Chrome because it sandboxes Flash aggressively while also using a custom patched version of Flash. The Chrome sandbox has proven itself time and time again with only a single 0day in the last 3 years.

I do not suggest running Chrome with EMET. It should already implement most of those security options and EMET can break some plugins.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Have you experienced such?

7. Hungry Man

Yes. Silverlight.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Chrome has been proven to be most secure by default, IE 9 not yet.

9. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Hi,

I would also highly recommend the Chrome browser. It is currently the most difficult browser to penetrate mostly because of the sandbox.

-MessageBoxA

10. Hakuna Matata

Funky, wanted to thank you for mentioning EMET - I wasn't even aware this tool was out there. I had no issues with deploying this and setting it up with my software.

11. Hungry Man

FYI, if you're using EMET on your browser and you use Silverlight for anything like Netflix you should disable EAF.

12. Hakuna Matata

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I decided to go IE9 for now, primarily due to its integration with Norton IS and fits into the AppLocker rules I already have setup (not that creating new rules for Chrome would be hard, but I'd break my separation of user-writeable and user-executable areas doing so). As it seems the pair are somewhat evenly matched, that ended up being the kicker.

NIS 2012 will support Chrome, so I might revisit this in a month or so.

13. Hakuna Matata

Thanks. Haven't hit a Silverlight site yet so haven't experienced a problem, but I'm sure I will soon enough :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.