IE9 RC1 out now!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Apparently I missed this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archive/2011/02/15/a-modern-browser.aspx

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While it'll get booed for being from Microsoft, it makes valid points. The comments about adding features is right on, especially. More does not always, and usually doesn't, equal better. I personally don't want a web server and bittorrent client in my browser, I don't want social media integration, I want plain old tabs, not colored, not grouped by topic. I don't want nor need 50 bells and whistles, I want a browser that can BROWSE, and can do so with speed and relative security.

3. MacQibble

MacQibble Registered Member

Hi expert peeps.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Has anyone noticed Adobe Flash's global settings panel is invisible on Adobe's site in IE9 RC1 32 bit o_O?

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html

I had hassle playing BBC news embedded video and wanted to check my flash settings but the global panel was blank. There's nowhere else to change flash global settings, far as I know. I reverted to IE8 and the panel was back on the Flash site...let me tweak my settings and fixed my video. I made no other changes to my Win7x64 setup other than go back to IE8. Reinstalled IE9 and the global panel is gone again. :'(

Just curious if you find this too? :doubt:

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

5. elapsed

820HTML5tests.png
    Source: http://test.w3.org/html/tests/reporting/report.htm
    I think 820 tests is a *little* more than what that silly website offers ;) ;)

Try being a little more open minded (I know it's hard...) and actually read the blog post I linked. Instead of just relying on a 3rd party unofficial source as the "be all end all" of HTML5. FYI WebGL/WebWorkers/etc has NOTHING to do with HTML5 and are unstable, that alone shows how silly that test webste is, and why people keep discrediting it, please stop linking it.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I guess, http://www.browserscope.org/ is "silly" for you, too...

Do NOT boast so much about your "precious" IE9, because it canNOT even properly show the Favicons of certain sites! :thumbd:
    1) Technibble
    2) Windows Secrets
    3) Security Software Updater

Just to name a few sites...
    FYI, Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox have NO problem with the above Favicons!
    I know it is hard for you to be open-minded and accept that Not everybody is obsessed with IE9 and MSE...:thumbd:

Attached Files:

• FF.jpg
      FF.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    • IE.jpg
      IE.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. elapsed

Firstly, I love how you state "my precious" as if I'm acting like a fanboy, where as really you're just burned because I linked you a 1st party OFFICIAL result directly from W3C unlike your 3rd party "tests".

Secondly, your entire response to my post is a bug in a non-release version of IE..? ROFL. Oh no, who would have though there would be a bug in a non-release version of software, call the police!

How many betas has Firefox gone though again and they havent fixed all the bugs yet? How many did Internet Explorer need? Point made. :'(

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's try to discuss the issues and not each other. Thanks. :)

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's going to get to the point where browsers are as taboo a subject as politics or fall under the "A vs B rule", lol. I personally think IE 9 looks good so far. Sure, there are a few performance issues, but eh, all browsers go through those (with exception to certain "holy browsers" according to some). I give them credit for not trying to stuff it to the gills with "features" like a certain orange fox (this coming from a fan and user of said fox). In the end, they all do one thing (or hell they should at least, it seems devs have lost sight of the original use), they get you from point A to point B on the web. If it works well, then screw other opinions and other tests. That's my view on it.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

#appmenu-button { display:none !important; }

That's it.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

After your extensive IE9 Brainwashing, it was nice to show that
    IE9 is so "impressive" that it canNot even handle Favicons!

Although IE users asked for a new Favorites Manager, they ended up with the same Crap!

With the majority of Windows users STILL running Windows XP (=Unable to get IE9)
    and STILL Not willing to go away from Windows XP (especially Corp. Clients haven't upgrade their Windows due to the Economic Crisis),
    do Not get too excited with IE9.
    No, you are not just a Microsoft Fanboy. I wish you were...
    In fact, you have been far away from it...:thumbd:

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I asked that the thread stay on topic. Use the personal messaging system to avoid taking the thread off topic. Okay?

13. elapsed

Some trolls just doesn't deserve a response, I'll leave it there. :cautious:

14. elapsed

Coming from the person that still can't defeat my response:

Without calling me names and making MS assumptions :argh: :thumb: Wilders needs an age limit. :rolleyes:
    When arguments with facts fail, fall onto what you know best, name calling!

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Talking about Facts, my Screen Shots are Still there!
    That Microsoft didn't even improve IE9 Favorites Manager (despite what users had asked...) is a Fact, too!

However, your Microsoft "myopia" does not allow you to see them.:thumbd:

Do you have some reward for extensively/systematically promoting IE9 -OR- you just do it for free?

16. elapsed

Ok Mozilla hero, you win, I lose. Clearly 1 bug in an RC of IE is more important than IE flat out beating Fx4 in important places such as speed.

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

NO Official/Unofficial relationship with Mozilla Firefox! I'm Not even a member of their Forum!
    FYI, a few years back, I had Opera as my primary browser! I have tried all browsers...

I have NO Official/Unofficial Relationship with any Browser or other software Vendor!
    For example, I used to have DefenseWall on my PCs; I am using Sandboxie now.

However, you are the one who massively/openly promote Microsoft products.
    I've asked you many times, but still NO answer! I wonder why...

Do you have some reward for extensively/systematically promoting Microsoft products -OR- you just do it for free?

"When it comes out, IE9 will be so impressive that users will remove their 3rd-party Internet Browsers and keep only IE9."
    The wishful thinking of Microsoft Shills or Promote-It-For-Free Microsoft Fan/Funny-Boys.

Keep on Dreaming!

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

As someone had said, I will be put off from trying this IE9 RC release due to all these fanboy's pushing.;) :p

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I found this (Ars Technica) if anyone fancies a bit of a read. I apologise if it has already been posted.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yo! Daveski, great to see you've moved on from that other source you used to quote so often :thumb:

Apropos nothing at all, I came across this:
    Not so modern :oops: and even less so (from memory):
    The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity - WB Yeats

21. Daveski17

Oh, I dunno ... guess which Google Reader feed it is on? ;) :D

Interesting article. I hope a computer of mine never gets that infected that I have to resort to a rescue disc. Now that is scary!

Apposite to even less:

"A just cause is not ruined by a few mistakes." ~ Dostoyevsky

"I'll pick you up in my car."
    "Oh, you have a car?"
    "No, I used to have a car & a chauffeur, but
    I couldn't afford both, so I got rid of the car."
    "What good is a chauffeur without a car?"
    "I need him to drive me to work."
    "How can he drive you to work without a car?"
    "It's-a-okay. I don't have a job."

~ Chico & Groucho, Duck Soup

22. Daveski17

Well, IE 9 RC is faster than IE 8. It certainly scrolls faster. I thought I would have a look at it on my laptop. WHAT? No spellchecker? Even worse ... Simple Adblock is not compatible :mad: :eek:

It's better than IE 8 in many respects, but I still only give it 5 out of 10 for effort. I will wait for the general release for my desktop.

Oh well ... back to SeaMonkey/SRWare Iron I suppose. ;)

23. Daveski17

Ermm ... I may not be totally right about this. ;)

24. elapsed

25. Daveski17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.