IE8 feauture not working as expected?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ASpace, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have noticed it before , it happened again just a few minutes ago.
    Smart screen , the new feauture of IE8 , is not working . It can just inform even though it should also stop the bad downloads.

I clicked on a link to a file I suppose to be malicious.
    I got a pop-up from IE asking if I want to RUN/SAVE/CANCEL
    I choose SAVE
    Then , nothing happens (I mean the files doesn't appear to be downloading) and I got a pop-up from SmartScreen that this download has been reported dangerous . As it writes "you are downloading" , I understand it as the something happening at the moment .

Even though I still haven't made my choice wheter I want to continue or not , the antivirus pops-up

Is it not working or I am wrong . I expect it be just like Firefox or Chrome - totally block the download or page/content , then ask . Not when the download has been performed ...

First.png
    Second.png
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you report it to ms so that the detection is improved?
  3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What to report ? This is not related to MSE nor any other MS antivirus product ? It is actually detected from the Smart Screen filter of IE8 , but it is not actually blocked . This is what I am talking about :thumb:
  4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you disable Eset, I do believe you will find a different result ? IE 8 SmartFilter on this end did not place that file in my download location after selecting Cancel.
  5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi ! Yes , you are right .

But - Trying this - I just web-access protection stopped .
    I click on the link , choose "Save" and the Smart ScreenFilter pops-up.
    Wait a second and NOD32 pops-up with a warning from the file-system protection that a mal file in the IE cache has been found

Why is this in the IE cache anyway ?
  6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.