IE8 cold startup surprise, therefore question about IE9

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kees1958, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

High,

I decided to use IE8 for my internet banking (through Group Policy it is completely locked down, plus firewall only allows IP's which I need to bank).

My only security is build in Vista OS plus Norton UAC (Yes the Safe-Admin setup).

To my surprise IE8 loads nearly as fast as Iron (a Chrome clone), les than 2 secs cold, a sec warm (on a E5200 low end dual core).

Evey new release M$ managed to increase cold startup time (until the partly log-on load trick which they introduced on Vista), so how is IE9 in terms of load times, like cold start (first start after log-on) and warm starts (repetitive cached starts).

Thans for sharing (please state you CPU and Ghertz it runs on)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Re: IE8 cold startyp surprise, therefore question about IE9

Running a Turion TL-56 dual core in my laptop, (1.8ghz) & 7200 RPM hard drive. OS, Vista 32 Home Premium. Only security running, LUA, AVG 2011 free and an old version of Appguard.

IE9 and Chrome Enterprise v6 (installs to program files) are about the same in opening speed. GUI opening 2 sec cold and 1 sec hot with Chrome having the slightest edge. I'm not including rendering speed. Firefox 3.6.10 opens in about 7-8 sec cold, 5 sec hot.

I have been running LUA + SRP but Chrome will not run under SRP in Vista nor will flash work properly on IE.

3. Kees1958

Thanks! So IE9 is a fast starter also (like Opera and Chrome), good to know.

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi Kees, I'm unfamiliar with this or maybe I misunderstand. What exactly is it?

5. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Try this:

Flash not working with SRP

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Not sure how to apply the fix for flash from that thread. Wouldn't allowing dlls significantly reduce the effectiveness of the SRP? Anyway, My main reason for not using SRP was to be able to use Chrome. I was getting fed up with the long load times for Firefox. Firefox + Sandboxie load times was getting unbearable to the point that I have quit using Sandboxie. However I have just updated to Firefox 4beta6 and it has cut the load times about in half, hot or cold starts.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  7. Kees1958

First Vista release loaded IE as part of prefetch and superfetch, so the executable was allready in memory and it loaded faster cold, so people moving from XP to Vista noticed faster program load at the expense of longer boot times.

At least that was rumour, now IE is treated equally (also hear say) by prefetch and superfetch.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.