IE8, Chrome have most momentum in browser wars

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I agree, picture an average PC user, why would he/she want to change the browser which comes with the OS?

So this will give Microsoft an easy competative advantage on say 50% of the PC buyers. Even when the EU forces to split the browser from the OS. When you just installed Windows7, the easiest way t get a browser is through an update of Windows7, so even this draconic regulation does not seem to hurt Microsoft very much.

I also reccon that Chrome spices up the competition in terms of browser architecture and safety, so I would guess IE will stay market leader for the years to come.

Only the Chrome and the Intel OS-ses fo rnetbooks might give chrome some punch, becasue these slower single core netbooks, benefit of chrome's (start up) speed.

But given the fact that chrome still has not overtaken FireFox, says something about user inertia to change browsers. The Windows market is clearly devided no1 is IE, no2 is FF

Regards Kees

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Clearly, the miliseconds still make a difference, as is the reason many people are liking chrome ;)
    No doubt, addons also help. Depends on the type of person you are and what you need more.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You have to imagine, if it wasn't for Opera and Firefox, the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ for a browser microsoft would have left us with.

Even with IE8 that I use, each new tab to open takes a few moments before it realises what I've asked it to do. Feels like the speed of an old amstrad computer.

But if they do indeed create a solid browser, without delays, then chrome and firefox and opera etc have achieved their purpose. A better 'user experience'. But once again, if IE9 manages to crush the competition, then we'd start all over again, with a browser that would slow in progress and development.

My issue with IE isn't that they're trying to evolve and develop (like firefox, opera), is that they would be happy to serve you something moldy and stale even in the face of endless complaints. And if there was no competition, there would be nothing you could do.

If you take Opera on the other hand, with only a few percent of the market share, they continue developing a product to satisfy the user in mind.

Ask yourself if IE8 had the market share Opera did, would they even bother making any updates/progress at all.

You can tell I used Netscape in the 90s hey? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My FF takes about 24 seconds on a cold start. Some say it's the addons. I have 6 extensions and 9 plug-ins. I have installed Chrome also just to watch it progress. When I installed it a few months ago it took 9 seconds on a cold start. Since then I have upgraded to v4.0.249.78 and added 4 extensions and a theme. It now takes 11 seconds on a cold start. As Chrome gets more user friendly, can I eventually expect FF and Chrome to have similar cold startups? :p

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I have 28 active addons and it takes 12 seconds o_O Chrome with 7 extensions takes 5 seconds. Both are portable versions though.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Personally, I doubt it. Chrome extensions don't rely on XUL, for one, so that's one massive performance overhead already eliminated. Both Firefox and Chrome extensions are built partly using Javascript, and Chrome's Javascript engine is way faster than Firefox's, so that's reason number two.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I did notice a delay with FF starting up, no extensions. Chrome, seems to launch instantly on all pcs, even ones that are five years + old.

Opera seems to launch instantly as well.

Cold start, long wait, why put yourself through the punishment? We already have to wait for windows to boot up. ;)

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

24 seconds seems too long. You could try disabling the extensions and see how much difference it makes. Perhaps there are issues with one or more of your extensions?

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for that suggestion, but I tried all that some time ago and couldn't narrow it down. I will try it again though. I really don't mind the wait, but I don't like putting up with something if I don't have to. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.