IE8, Chrome have most momentum in browser wars

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ars technica article by Emil Protalinski.​

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have always believed Chrome to be an excellent choice for a browser. A not so distant poll here at Wilders was a bit skeptical about it reaching 10% share by the end of 2010. If they keep this momentum they could indeed manage, thanking also their popularity with Gmail, Google Earth and search engine, notwithstanding the controversy about privacy issues.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=253648

3. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i love Chrome is a very promising browser but i miss my add ons on FF so i get back to my roots lol

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's really not clear to me what the appeal of Chrome is. I've tried it on occasion and now that the latest v4 supports extensions it offers a lot more functionality, but it still can't compare with Firefox. The many extensions available for Firefox are not trivial. They make it possible to personalize the browser to a far greater degree than any other browser. OTOH Chrome has peculiarities. I don't like the tab bar right at the top edge. I also don't like that you still can't configure the tabs so that closing the last tab does not close the application. So, again please tell me what is driving the adoption of Chrome?

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

there is really only 1 thing, speed.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You have your own arguments pertaining to Firefox, and given the fact that we are all different we all have different points of view. As far as I'm concerned taking Firefox naked and Chrome naked (without extensions), I find that Chrome on my machines is slightly faster (Firefox with its 3.6 version has improved its speed and cold start dramatically).

Firefox has never warned me about infected sites without a specific add-on, Chrome does it all the time without adding anything. I personally find it so much better to run without extensions and particularly with the hyped up No-Script which kills the pleasure of browsing. Using Gmail, I also find logging in faster than with Firefox.

According to the article part of Firefox slowdown is due to IE8 (SmartScreen Filter?) popularity rather than Chrome.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Victek123, I'll take a stab at your question with one word: Google. We all know that Google is the big gorilla in the room and just like Microsoft was the driving force behind Windows' worldwide adoption, Google will spare no expense in making Chrome a true contender in the browser wars.

Sometimes we forget how clunky Windows was in the beginning, yet I believe that in due time, Chrome is going to give everyone a run for their money. And this statement is coming from a full fledged Firefox user, me.

IMO, perhaps there is another driving factor: the fact that Google has paid Mozilla millions of dollars a year. This article: Why Firefox's future lies in Google's hands states that in 2007, 88% of the Mozilla foundation's revenue ($66M) came from Google being the main search engine in Firefox's Home page. Can you blame Google for wanting to keep some of that money for themselves by building Chrome?

However, take a look at Firefox/Projects/3.7 and 4.0 Theme and UI Revamp/Direction and Feedback and Tab Animation to see that Mozilla is not standing still either. In the end, the browser wars will make users very happy, no matter what choice one makes.

8. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

ummm.....where does this leave the chronic opera addicts ?

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I'm sure a combination of a huge advertising budget and conveniently timed IE exploits in the media helped Chrome grow a lot!
    Opera missed out as it was not plastered on newspapers and billboards at the time.

Nevertheless, I think many people who try to use Chrome are sticking to it, thanks to the refreshing boost in speed when they switched to it.

So was FF when it was released... now its a beast. The only reason I still have it on my computer is because of the addons.

Browser biggest pros IMO:
    Chrome = speed
    FF = addons
    IE = installed on Windows (which is why so many users use it)
    Opera = ? [anyone want to comment? I know this is going a little off-course of the thread, just curious]

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks...I should add that I'm not attached to Firefox. If/when Chrome develops sufficiently I'll happily use it. I just don't feel it's there yet and I don't understand what's motivating people to switch to it. I think Opera 10 has a lot more to offer then Chrome, but for whatever reason Opera is off the industry's radar. If I needed another browser I'd use Opera at this point.

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Opera = build-in functionalities, speed

12. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

gotcha, cheers!

13. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

Chrome speed is real but too overlooked we are taking about miliseconds lol just almost nothing between all major browsers you must look for expandability (add ons) and security, right? ok and now who beats FF? answer that in your mind

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Opera!!! In miles... :D

15. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i have the temptation to test Opera, tell me who good is? no problem with web pages like it was in the past?

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Opera for me is what a browser should be, because you have everything you need on it, it works, is fast, and they are always innovating the web browser world!

About 99% web pages works on it, and the new upcoming version, 10.50 is even much better.
    This version is faster than Chrome...

Give it a try... ;)

17. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

thanks i will, and are you able to block ads and Flash in Opera?

18. ProrokX

ProrokX Registered Member

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

20. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

thanks guys

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

That new opera (still in testing) is absolutely flying. :) x 10

To make it more like chrome, go to 'settings' and 'preferences'.
    Then under 'tabs', select 'when closing a tab', 'activate the next tab'.
    Also check the box 'open new tab next to active'.

Then right-click on anything you don't need on the tool bar and remove, and add what you need, 'full screen' etc.

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Chrome versus Firefox

Firefox offers many options to change the functionality, there is no clear seperation of mechanims in regard to rights policy (normally one would have different means for different purposes like: services - end user computing functionality - user space scripting). Personalisation comes with a price: swiss cheese security architecture, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=264693

Chromium is developed with a clear policy/software architecture in mind which has obvious security/performance benefits.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Perhaps another reason why Chrome is making inroads with users?

24. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

JR< some good articles there. I noticed the one you posted to firefox, the new GUI will look very similar to Chrome, and same with Opera's new version.

Although there will always be people who are loyal to one browser and will not change, and a percentage that will use whichever is the easiest and most talked about, I wonder if Opera for example, will have people who will continue to use its browser even if Chrome becomes the most popular browser. And if firefox users will shift to Chrome, or stay loyal to FF.

Either way, I think FF has the most to lose, given the support they received from Google. Firefox worked hard at opening the door, were the ones that spent years getting people to change to FF and let go of IE. Now all those people who changed once, those stubborn users, they don't seem to mind changing again (from my experience, seeing many users with Chrome, asking if they installed it, and they say, yep it's great).

Opera, will continue being a small player, coming up with unique features, being stable and not as targeted/susceptible to problems/exploits, and Chrome will surge ahead to be the number one browser ahead of IE.

Some screenshots of new Opera (no file menu, just like chrome):
    Opera 1.jpg
    OPera 2.jpg

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not read any of the IE9 news have you? I don't see chrome ever being number 1.

Don't get me wrong, because I'm pretty sure nearly all the IE9 goodies are due to the competition like Chrome making Microsoft wake up. Competition is great. :thumb:

I for one will be switching to IE9 when it's available, unless someone else beats them to add their feature list first, and I'm kind of hoping Opera does!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.