IE6 / IE7 Asking for opinions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

For those of you who are using MicroSoft browsers I would like your opinion as to Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7. I am still using IE6 but am considering upgrading to IE7. I have heard good and bad about IE7. Should I remain with IE6 or upgrade to IE7. What do you think? As always I will appreciate any replies I receive and thank you in advance for your opinion.

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use Firefox, but sometimes I have to use IE for some pages.
    That said, I really prefer IE6. Updated to IE7 when windows update gave the "option" to download it, but didn't like it. Just personal taste.
    For security and tabbed browsing, I use firefox and back then I used Opera.
    So after I formatted my PC, I skipped the IE7 upgrade. Just like IE6 better.
    For more technical facts, you could do a google search, I'm sure there are many comparatives out there.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont use IE but I upgrade to IE7 for the security and the tabs are nice. Id say its better than IE6.

Plus with IE7pro its becomes better.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I installed IE7 on my XP notebook and promptly deinstalled it.

I use Firefox, although I periodically try out Opera.

My newer Vista notebook has IE7, which I've used once or twice, but still using Firefox.

...I suppose I should download Opera again, now that I'm on Vista and try it out again ....

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I prefer IE7 also, I think it's more secure than 6, has tabs etc. Just seems like a good idea to upgrade. I haven't really heard many negatives about it other than the usual IE bashing comments, many of which no longer apply to 7...

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use Firefox w/noscripts and adblock. I've got IE7 but haven't used it enough to be able to say which I preferred. The main reason is it's just a lot slower than Firefox, and with noscript and adblock, I'm not bothered with that stuff. Maybe some day M$ will get a clue and implement something similar.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

I used IE7 for along time till the icons got screwed up, now I'm very happy with FF & only use IE7 for M$ updates. You should consider 'DropMyRights' for IE, should you be starting your browser with 'admin. rights.'

Take Care
    Rico

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

IE7 is faster & definitelly safer than IE6, even with default settings. The only problem is, that it has to be installed properly - www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

By the way, there is also IE7 Pro Addon, which adds some nice features, you might want - www.ie7pro.com , but I guess, that it works with IE6 too. [​IMG]

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, it's a mixed bag...

My overall feeling is that IE7 is fine (I have it on both of my PCs at home) but other than a couple of newly available settings, in general (IMO!), it's no safer on XP than IE6 (now IE7 on Vista is a different thing!)

You should be aware that some programs use IE as their rendering engine. For example, if you have QuickBooks 2004, you must not upgrade to IE7. If you do, QB 2004 will no longer run correctly. And Intuit has no plans to correct this either. o_O In addition, there are still websites here and there that may not interact correctly with IE7. One US govt site that we use at work does not support Vista and IE7.

12. Erronius

Erronius Registered Member

XP Pro SP2

I finally installed IE7 less than a week ago after testing it for a couple of weeks on a cloned copy of my system. I downloaded and installed it manually.
    For me, the installation was flawless - as far as I can tell. A lot quicker and smoother than I expected.
    On my machine, this version is every bit as fast as IE6, has better security and the additional features have made it worth it.
    The only problems I've had are very minor (I've been using a third party popup blocker and I might have to switch to IE's because of problems with a small number of web pages and the shortcuts in the links toolbar won't stay in the order I want).
    So far, so good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  13. Arup

Arup Guest

I am a devout Opera user but IE7 is far superior to IE6 in terms of performance, interface etc.

14. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I wouldn't think of using IE as a primary browser. If you're going to use the IE engine, you may as well use a shell like Sleipnir/Maxthon/Avant/etc. The IE interface is is too rigid.

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Personally, I would not change until the webpages no longer work right with the browser. IE 7 offers tabbed browsing, but that is something that I don't absolutely need. There are more safety enhancements according to MS, but most likely it is a more bloated program as well. At work I am still using Adobe 5 (a lot of PDF documents don't come up and I get a window that says "document is broken"), but I can see them on my home Adobe programs.
    FWIW, upgrading has its pitfalls and sometimes new versions don't run right after installation.

16. rodnh

rodnh Registered Member

Anyone using IE7 find their shortcut files changing date and size?. I never had that problem with IE6 but since I upgraded to IE7 (on XP Pro SP2), my url shortcut files (favorites) change date and increase in size every time I visit some sites. It doesn't happen on all sites, just some - like cnn.com for instance. Some of my shortcut files got to be over 200K and climbing. I consider anything over 2-4K to be unnecessary. In actually viewing the content of affected url files, the size increase appears to be related to repeatedly adding on-site advertising urls to the site shortcut. This happened automatically and silently to the user. The only way I could prevent that from continuing to happen was to delete the shortcuts, create new, fresh ones and set them to read-only. I finally set all my 1200+ shortcut files to read-only and the problem no longer exists. I have been unable to find anyone who can explain the why of this behavior of IE7, even in the MS forums, so I don't know what "feature", or function, if anything, I am missing out on by doing this.

17. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I use Vista and IE7. I find IE7 to be an excellent browser. I've tried Firefox to see what all the hoopla was about but quickly went back to IE. As far as security is concerned, I leave it up to my "useless" Vista firewall and my A/V. I realize this is a security forum but I don't know where you guys surf to continually get infected that you feel you have to use FF no script but I am not a safe surfer by any means and have no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.