IE10 telemetry data

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I installed the release preview in Windows 7, and I don't recall specifying any option to send data to Microsoft servers, but when I checked TCPView I saw a connection to sqm(.)telemetry(.)microsoft(.)com.

I actually have the option not to sent any feedback in the group policy settings enabled, so I was surprised to see telemetry data to be sent.

Does anyone know what this is for? So far couldn't find any useful info.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

FWIW, based on a now somewhat dated bookmark pertaining to Windows 7:

http://www.verboon.info/index.php/2...ustomer-experience-improvement-programpart-1/

I got the impression that there could be multiple places where you need to make changes in order to stop CEIP/SQM.

The IE10 Release Preview Privacy Statement:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/win7-ie10-release-preview-privacy-statement

says "Internet Explorer uses your Windows CEIP setting". Hopefully you can zero in on why your box is continuing to phone home. You could also take the opportunity to block that host via firewall while you are thinking about it.

4. m00nbl00d

I already had all the CEIP settings disabled (Windows, IE, Office, Media Player, and even for Windows Messenger, just in case... but, I don't even have Windows Messenger installed.), which is what got me surprised for seeing such connection happening. o_O

Back then, I actually followed instructions provided here as well: -http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126127(v=ws.10).aspx

I'm going to check the registry entries provided in the link you mentioned, though. :)

The surprise is not that IE uses CEIP, as I knew it does. The surprise was to see that it's bypassing Windows own group policy settings. o_O
    Anyway, in the meantime I did something better... disabled the firewall rule allowing IE, and won't even bother testing it and give any feedback. :isay:

It's just upsetting to see this bypassing happening, considering I got group policies enabled that forbid such connections.

Oh well...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. m00nbl00d

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

FYI, Microsoft beta software usually sends usage data, crash info, etc. E.g. the office suite installed a whole separate application just for gathering and submitting suggestions, etc.

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

It sounded as though you were aware of it, but I hoped something in that previous link might be helpful to you and/or others. Perhaps it isn't "CEIP via SQM" that you are seeing but "IE10_Beta_Telemetry via SQM"? That privacy statement I linked to seems to be the correct one for the Windows 7 IE10 preview and doesn't appear to mention additional data collection. Perhaps you can collect per "If you have any basis for recovering damages from Microsoft, you can recover only direct damages up to U.S. $5.00." at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...10-release-preview-end-user-license-agreement :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.