IE10 talk and stuff

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So I just ran SunSpider with 64 vs 32bit and whilst the 32bit version was still unnoticeably faster, the 64bit version definitely has the Chakra engine built in now:

64: 254ms
    32: 223ms

A few other things, there appears to be a force 64bit mode, some kind of extra security? It's off by default:
    ie64.png

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This may sound a "silly" question, but does IE10 allow to create different user profiles, by any chance? :ouch:

That's been one of the things that has kept me from using IE. I like to have different browser profiles, but IE never allowed it. :mad:

3. elapsed

I'm not sure how I'd find that out, but I wouldn't bet on it.

4. elapsed

JavaScript test suite, I believe IE9 failed 61 or so:
    ecma.png

5. elapsed

6. guest

guest Guest

Finally got a native spellchecker!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/09/13/ie10pp3.aspx

7. elapsed

That's a Windows 8 feature that IE10 enables. I doubt you'll see it in IE10 on Windows 7.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. guest

guest Guest

Nope. Read:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/11/08/typing-with-speed-and-accuracy-in-ie10.aspx

Also: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/SpellChecking/

IE 10 rocks. ;)

10. elapsed

Developer Preview 4 released:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...cations-the-fourth-ie10-platform-preview.aspx

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EDIT: Let's see what it brings!
    Will it be compatible with W7 or we must have W8? :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  12. elapsed

Win7 and Win8, not Vista.

13. elapsed

test262 has been updated since the last preview, here are the new results.

IE10PP3: Pass-10974 Fail-4
    IE10PP4: Pass-11097 Fail-11

ecma.png

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Which is BS, to say the least because I'm sure Vista can technically support it. Only MS doesn't want it to work on Vista......

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Probably, yeah.

16. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft's answer to that:

"Windows Vista customers have a great browsing experience with IE9, but in building IE10 we are focused on continuing to drive the kind of innovation that only happens when you take advantage of the ongoing improvements in modern operating systems and modern hardware."

With that said, I'm glad they won't harm development of new IE versions to support too old Windows versions. I want the latest and greatest. :D

17. Firecat

Other browsers are doing just fine......

I used IE for the longest time, but hearing this BS just made be stop using it. I am a Windows 7 user, and despite this I do not agree with this decision. I have used Vista too, and Vista SP2 is every bit as fast and usable as Windows 7 (UAC prompts aside).

What Microsoft is doing is trying to force Vista users to upgrade, and those users are their most loyal users because they have stuck to Vista despite all the bad press. And this is how MS rewards them?

I used Vista for nearly 3 years before upgrading to Windows 7, and I mainly upgraded because I wanted the professional version for which I simply could not find Vista retail boxes anymore. I haven't noticed a significant difference in anything other than UI tweaks and beautification (of course, the new taskbar is a good improvement, but my parents hate it!).

Vista never deserved this kind of treatment, and let's face it: Windows 7 is Vista.

Though it's probably for the better as other browsers just gained some marketshare due to this foolhardy move by Microsoft.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  18. guest

guest Guest

Not quite. None of them offer hardware acceleration on the same level of IE10, for obvious reasons. ;)

lol Just use what is good for you. Plus your comparisons are totally subjective and, of course, wrong, according to documentations of new Windows 7 features and, of course, the experience of several other users.

Nobody is being forced, Windows Vista continues delivering the experience it was supposed to deliver.

Microsoft is just doing better technology. Those who want the best that Microsoft can offer, should upgrade.

Vista users (at least the majority of them) aren't "loyal". Loyalty to a business company? lol. Vista users just don't want to pay for some new thing that they don't see a need to have.

Microsoft doesn't need to "reward" them. Vista will be already 5 years old (or more) by the time IE 10 comes. Move on.

That's just your limited experience, which contradicts with many others'.

Lol, no. You talk about Operating Systems made by a business company as if they were "persons".

I hope they don't care about market share and continue making their best to improve IE. What now?

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I find it a little stupid that the previews are Windows 8 only, even Preview 4. You want people to test your new browser on an OS that isn't even Beta yet....grand move there, genius.

20. guest

guest Guest

Well, even the browser isn't in beta too. :D

Dev Preview + Dev Preview, makes sense.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, not quite.

1. IE 10 will come out before Windows 8 (likely long before), it needs a stable OS to test on..because it will be run on a stable OS until 8 comes out (the vast majority of people are on and will stay on Win 7 for some time to come).

2. I can't see how testing alpha software on an alpha OS is in any way going to help determine whether IE 10 is a boom or a bust.

3. This is more likely MS deciding it wants to showcase the browser in the environment they specifically built it for and provides the most functions with (Win 8 ). While that sounds great, the reality is that the browser will not be run in this "perfect environment" for some time to come.

22. guest

guest Guest

All fair points, let's hope that IE10 beta1 will run on Win7 (though by that time I will probably already be using Win8 Beta and won't care anymore about what happens to Win7, lol)

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It won't come out TOO far ahead of Win8. I doubt by the beta.

Win8 Beta is in two months or so and it's release is in August I think, right? So maybe it'll come out a few months before.

24. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

You have to consider that MS supports IE for a long LONG time. It limits IE three versions per platform, Vista already had three (IE7/8/9). IE10 will be Windows 7's last IE version.

25. Firecat

@guest: You can tell me to "move on" and laugh all you want, but I am mainly disturbed because this causes issues that are quite far reaching. Let me give you an example: I live in a developing country which has millions of PC users, most of whom pirate all their software. It takes a lot of money to purchase MS software and it really isn't easy for us to shell out the cash every time to upgrade. Windows 7 and Vista users are actually in a small minority here.

Most PCs still use Windows XP + IE6 and IE7, including computers at most universities. Though they do teach Linux, students don't prefer it (don't ask why). Now, Windows XP is limited to IE7 or IE8 (and most PCs in organizations are basically using IE7 only), a lot of people don't bother to install other browsers (or it is not allowed) for organizations or universities.

As a direct result, development on IE6 or 7 causes problems when viewing the website through other browsers. I cannot count the number of times I've faced problems while applying for admission, job recruitments, what not. The few organizations having Vista or 7 have access to standards compliant browsers (i.e. IE8/9), so they can develop proper websites. Except those would have to be compatible with IE7 at least to give XP users some headroom.

Now I have IE9 with IE7 compatibility mode, so I don't usually have a problem with these websites. Some others using, say, Firefox or some relatively unknown browser do. And the IE6 optimized sites are often just plain broken.

What do I get when I contact the web administrator about it? "Go to a cyber cafe and use IE6 to apply"!

You may call this lazy, unstructured programming, whatever, and I would likely agree with you, but the only way to ensure some degree of standards compliance is to allow the new standards across all supported versions of Windows, and those which have recently exited mainstream support. Everybody cannot be expected to use FF or Chrome or Opera always, because sometimes I just don't have the choice of browser.

This is why MS needs to allow some transition period for countries like mine - they take a full three years at least to transition from one OS to another.

I can totally understand MS' business policies and it makes sense from there, but for me as one of the few students who shells out full price for MS software (because MS doesn't have a students discount here!), it has become a cause for a lot of frustration........

Now there are not many using Vista, so it is unlikely this sort of problem will happen again. However, 7 will see good growth, and when someone develops on IE10 on Win 7, I'm not sure what to expect when I will be using IE12 or IE13 or Chrome 20 or whatever.

It's just frustrating.........:(

(Yes, there is a serious problem with software education in my country, but that is another topic altogether. This will be my last rant on this topic because we're here to discuss IE10 and not about how it works or does not work on some OS. IE9 is a great browser and IE10 will also probably bring a lot of great changes on the table. :) )

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.