IE10 for Win 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Hammer, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it was nice when i tested it on Win 8.

the automated spell checker was very cool i thought and i thought it was much faster and polished than IE9.
    and there's a new Enhanced protection mode.

i'm not really waiting for it though.
    i'll try it when the final version is done on Win 7.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Meh, just a preview. Too little, too late.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm waiting it! :)
    Will be a nice improvement over IE9.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

There is some consternation that IE 10 for Win 7 is only a *preview* and some are letting their opinions known as this has been being expected for some time.
    If the preview is only November, we probably won't see an RTM until after Christmas. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/10/17/ie10-on-windows-7-available-in-november.aspx

See also: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/...er-10-windows-7-release-date-preview-novemberhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/17/ie10_windows7_preview_again/

6. moontan

there's no rush, i can wait.

of course, people who develop web sites might have another opinion. ;)

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

As long as it comes eventually.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

In my opinion they made a mistake not doing this sooner. Windows 7 has millions of users, and will still have millions long after Windows 8 has arrived on the scene (I'm not expecting it to go over all that well once it's on desktops). It's not wise to put up the "velvet ropes" so to speak and only give few (as of last month, 0.33% of all Windows users) people access to its development over this time. I'm afraid upset people will be the least of worries for MS. It's a very reasonable outlook to think that once IE10 is official, that people will try it because it's in the news and new...and then go right back to using Chrome, Firefox or whatever browser they were relying on for daily use.

I just think they "screwed the pooch" on this and, chances are, they may have ended up killing their own product since it may hurt adoption on Windows 8 as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  9. xxJackxx

Pretty much. I assume they are trying to drive people to Windows 8. Instead they are driving people to use an alternate browser. I wanted to get excited about it but it took too long and what will we get? Faster than IE9 but slower than every other browser? A spelling checker? Woohoo!!!! A continuation of the IE9 interface that traded all status indicators for a few milliseconds of speed? Sign me up!

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Whenever it shows up in the updates is fine, no big deal. I will probably continue to use Chrome anyway...

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

They wouldn't be doing this just to get people to switch to Windows 8. As stupid as MS sometimes can be, none of them there can be that dumb. I can't possibly fathom anyone switching an OS just to use a browser. No, I believe this to be nothing more than one possibly monumental screw-up. Now of course time is going to tell how this turns out, but I just don't see how this could be anything but bad for IE and MS.

12. siljaline

As soon as the RTM is announced, I will be passing the information along.
    One of the interesting new features, among others, will be auto spell-check and an overall more secure Browsing experience.

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Depending on which Windows version you are using, if I am recalling correctly. Enhanced protection mode will be, from what I recall, moot on Windows 7. I'm not certain if this is still true, but Flash was also not compatible with EPM. The AppContainer Sandbox will also, from what I recall, not be there on Windows 7 and I believe is only for the Metro version of IE as well. Not to mention any add-ons will have to be compatible with AppContainer to even work. And then of course we have the standing issue of Flash only working in the Metro version if the website you are visiting is in the pre-approved whitelist.

So, not only have they left out the majority of their users in this test of the new "browsing experience", some of the security measures and features may not be there or work well. Even if all of the above issues were dealt with, MS made a huge failure in leaving Windows 7 users...the ones who represent the majority of computers running Windows...which is pretty much the majority of the population of the world...high and dry.

14. siljaline

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Frankly, it wouldn't make a huge difference to me...
    Since 2006, IE has Not been my primary browser.
    I update IE, like I do with the rest of Windows Updates, but I don't use it.

What distracts me more is that Microsoft limits IE Usage according to Windows Version.
    For example, why Windows XP users shouldn't be allowed to use IE9, IE10 etc. ?

Microsoft
    should Not use IE as a way to push Windows Upgrading...

16. xxJackxx

Maybe. Either way it is strange that this is the first time in ever that a new version of IE came out for the previous OS AFTER the release of a new one.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I believe that EPM will come disabled by default in Desktop Mode, precisely because of that. Meaning that IE10 Desktop Mode sandbox (Protected Mode) will be as strong as IE9's Protected Mode. EPM is also only for Windows 8, AFAIK... unless we're both wrong. :D

I would rather see Microsoft follow Google's foot steps, and enhance the Protected Mode sandbox, running the renderer processes at an Untrusted label, like Google Chrome does.

EPM is of no use, if the user needs ABC plugin for his/her daily browsing, which means that the user will run IE10 with Protected Mode only. Unless all plugins become compatible with EPM, which I highly doubt.

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yes it is. It's either very poor planning or they really are that dumb.

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

So in other words, IE 10 will barely be any different in security than IE 9. According to various reports, Windows 7 users won't likely even get any of the other new features (well golly, at least we get spell check!... :D :rolleyes: ) or even the speed increases. We also have to think about the actual release date of the official version. November gets another preview and, from there, official release dates could vary between late December (not very likely) all the way to April 2013. We're looking at a possible two years since the release of IE 9 before we get IE 10. I guess there goes the faster release schedules MS was touting not that long ago, right?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  20. siljaline

That would be an incorrect statement. MS wants to offer Win 7 users the opportunity to use IE 10, no strings attached. If you don't want it, there's no reason to use it and stay with whatever Browser you use now.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

We've been waiting since June 2011 have this opportunity..again. That's the whole point, it's not necessarily that it isn't wanted, they just keep withholding it from us. So yes, they are attaching strings. They're handing it out in the V.I.P room while Windows 7 users are peeking up there from the club floor. They're making us stay with whatever browser we use now and I'm telling you, there's almost no way that isn't going to come back and bite them right on the rear end.

22. moontan

the auto-spell check is very good and the speed increase makes it as fast as Chrome, in my experience.

but i doubt i will be using much.
    i gotta have my NoScript. ;)

if i use IE10 it's probably gonna be as a dedicated banking browser.

23. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Wow, IE still exists? Who knew. :p

24. siljaline

Not everyone runs Firefox.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Speed which, if reports are still true, won't been seen outside of Windows 8. Not many folks will be willing to change their browsers they've been using for years now for spell check :D Don't get my statements wrong, I don't want IE 10 to fail. That would be silly to want any competitor to fail and is never good for users or business. I just don't think MS is doing their product any favors the way they are going about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.