IE10 Error, "ie4uinit.exe The application was unable to start"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Warlockz, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

ie4uinit.exe The application was unable to start Multiple errors at start ect

I'm having issues, ie4uinit.exe The application was unable to start so im about to restore my system back to IE9! I think its part of their so called enhanced security, it rejects altered system files. like patched files for custom themes..BOOOOOOO :mad:

well at least i think this is the problem?

More info
    http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/280226-ie10-bit-no-go-me.html#post2307674

any solutions besides a system restore/repair?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Have you tried using the System File Checker utility?

Run System File Checker

1. Type cmd on the Start screen.

2. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

3. Type the following command and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

If it found problems, did it fix them all? Next I would suggest to download and run the System Update Readiness Tool:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

When SURT completes, search these logs for errors/failures:
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

If you have any corruption within your patch files, you'll want to look up a guide for how to fix it. If SURT encountered corruption it must manually be fixed, fixed via role back prior to the corrupt patch (which in some cases is impossible depending on what/when it occurred), or reinstall Windows. Fixing them generally involves downloading the original patch and tearing it apart to locate a non-corrupt version of what's corrupt. SURT can tell you exactly what's corrupt, but locating the proper file to replace it with from the original KB patch can be difficult.

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I decided to just run it and go with the flow, so I ran sfc-scannow and it fixed the problem with minimal effect on my themes, before when I used to run it I would have to re mod my system, but I ran it and the only null effect this time was it replace some Icons in my library folders which I can live with for now until I find an updated iconpack for my issue thanks :thumb:
    So I Installed IE10 restarted my machine and no issues detected, Problem Solved!
    2013-03-04_165845.png

4. Phant0m

This is great news! Thanks for posting back on it.

I can confirm if you replace even one icon in the Windows system Shell32.dll file, IE10 won't open (even though it's installed correctly). No errors will be shown or any logging in event viewer. I don't know if its only specific to version 10 of IE, only that this is confirmed with IE10 stable.

5. Phant0m

I used Resource Hacker to replace an icon in Windows system Shell32.dll file. A link to how Resource Hacker replaces icons is the culprit for why IE10 doesn't start. Restorator 2007 is said to work successfully to replace icons in Shell32.dll and IE10 still loads. Reference link .. please see Warlockz original post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.