IE10 64 bit online tracking protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not sure whether or not this is relevant for the issues with the TPLs, but I noticed that one of the lists I'm using (I cannot mention it, because it's not publically available.) has a Expires=5, which means that IE10 would need to find a new update each 5 days. In the registry key HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists, under its own entry, there's the entry TTL (Time To Live, I suppose), which has a value of 5.

Every other TPLs entry, including Fanboy's, TTL won't match the TPLs Expires=X.

For example, Fanboy Ultimate TPL list has an Expires=4, but in the TTL key it has a value of 2.

I'm not sure how this TTL thing works, but considering that one of the TPLs Expires=X is consistent with what is shown in the TTL key, couldn't there be an issue with the TTL of the other entries, for some reason, which enters in conflict with the Expires=X?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The IE TTL reg only seems to be maintained if you removing and re-adding the list in IE. If you manually download and replace the file, a possible TTL change may not be considered.

3. m00nbl00d

Yes, but I'm talking a scenario where I have deleted all the tpls, including the registry entry "Lists", and then readded the TPLs from the official links, using IE10 internal mechanism, so to speak. Only one of the TPLs, which I cannot mention it, TTL is consistent with its Expires=X. The others aren't consistent. Shouldn't their TTL be consistent with the Expires=X, in this situation?

-edit-

Other lists don't have an Expires=X, and therefore IE automatically gives them a TTL=7. I'm going to monitor those lists hash value and see if they ever update. If their hash values change, for sure they are updating, if updates exist. The only sure way to test this, would be to create a TPL with no Expires=X, and then change the TPL and see if it updates. I can't do it here, unfortunately.

4. Phant0m

There is something specific to your system I think.

It works good for me when using Internet Explorer own internal means to remove the TPLs and then re-adding the TPLs by clicking on a web link.

5. Phant0m

It is anyways not relevant, I've had all mine consistent and IE10 never automatically updated any of the TPLs.

Trust me, IE10 simply don't do automatic updating of TPLs! :rolleyes:

6. m00nbl00d

@ Phant0m & all

I believe that I was right, actually. I just checked moments ago and Fanboy Ultimate Adblock List for Internet Explorer list (-https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie/fanboy-ultimate-ie.tpl) was updated two days ago (April 8 ).

I made a change to registry key TTL for this list. I started IE10 and the TPL was updated!

So, as I suspected, the reason why the TPLs won't update are the TTL entries.

Regarding this Fanboy list, the Expires=4 needs to be the exact value in TTL entry. In other words, TTL needs to have a value of 4 as well. For some reason, in my system at least, it always had a value of 2.

Can you folks give it a try to any of the lists you may have outdated?

The registry keys are here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists

Just check each of the TTL and the respective Expires=X in the TPLs, and make the change accordingly. If the TPLs have no Expires=X entry, then leave the TTL=7 key alone.

Cheers!

-edit-

Then again, if may have to do with this: -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833084 (Tracking protection list does not update as expected in Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012)

lol

It only mentions Windows 8 and Server 2012, though.

I'll keep an eye on it, and see what happens whenever new TPL updates come out under Windows 7.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. Phant0m

Running Windows 7.

When remove and re-import the list via IE, it extracts the TTL information and places that information into the TTL IE registry for that list. I had matching TTL values, every-time I compared since IE 10 Previews and it didn't make any difference.

8. Phant0m

Not to mention, it doesn't make sense. After importing the TPLs, it's the IE TPLs registry TTLs checked and nothing else. No reading and comparing of the two different areas the TTL information to my knowledge.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup they fixed it in the Windows Update batch this month, yey!

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Before the latest MS patches, no TPL auto-update. After the latest MS patches, IE10 *on Windows 7 x64* did auto-update EasyList. Better late than never I suppose :)

11. Phant0m

From what I gather... only on Windows 8?

12. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I'm running, and tested, IE10 on Windows 7 x64. I should have made that clear in my earlier message, apologies.

13. Phant0m

That's a shame... I cannot seem to edit my previous posts except for the latest one. I wanted to edit my post at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2212169&postcount=83 and remove the download links and give a reason why.

"The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 7200 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message." <---- interesting, for me only or everyone.. this new change?

Anyways, It is indeed fixed for Windows 7 users.

14. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Cool! :thumb:

15. m00nbl00d

Are they still automatically updating? o_O

A new update came for fanboy-ultimate-ie.tpl today (-https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie/fanboy-ultimate-ie.tpl), but IE10 is not updating it.

I kept IE10 opened for like 10 minutes, and it is still open. But, it won't update the TPL.

Attached Files:

16. Phant0m

Remember, it depends on when your IE last checked for updates.... The Expiry remember? ;)

17. m00nbl00d

Considering that I don't use IE that often (last time was precisely on day 13), and that I only opened it some minutes ago, it should have updated it.

But, I remembered what I did back then, which was to modify the TTL key to 4. I reopened IE10 and it updated the TPL. The TTL goes back to 2.

Go figure... lol

18. Phant0m

Fanboy's AdBlock-Nonelements List you shown has expiry of 4 days, when it updated, it should have automatically refresh that expiry in the registry with 4 not 2.

Almost appears to me that your registry permissions for the area holding that information is messed with. And could explain why the counter isn't working properly.

If you change 2 to 4 in the registry, and refresh that registry screen. Does 4 remain?

19. m00nbl00d

As soon as the TPL is updated, it goes back to 2. (It's something I mentioned before, which I was finding odd to be happening.) I'm talking, of course, after the TPL updates (after having changed the TTL value to 4).

The Expires=4 should match TTL=4, but for some reason it's TTL=2. This is why it fails to update on its own... in my system anyway.

I know that next time, when the TPL updates (TTL=4 now), it will revert back to TTL=2. :argh:

Anyway, this gives me reason to keep working on something that I was working on. lol

20. Phant0m

I think you overlooking something, because the TTL in the registry is updated to the expiry information in the TPL list for every update.

Either you getting confused over the long CLSID information used for each list, and you changing the wrong one. Or when you make a change to the TTL information it doesn't stick due to registry permission being messed up. Refreshing that registry screen after making the change should show this.

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

22. m00nbl00d

You're correct. That's how it should be. And, it does happen to every other TPL that I'm running. Fanboy's TPL TTL key is the only one that doesn't match the Expires information. Every other TPL matches properly.

No confusion and no issues with permissions. As I mentioned above, only happens with Fanboy's TPL.

I have one TPL with an Expires=5, and the TTL value matches (TTL=5). I have two other TPLs with no Expires information, which will default to TTL=7.

So, if this was about registry permissions, then the same would happen to every other TPL, which isn't the case.

The long CLSID isnt confusing, and simply because within each, you'll easily see what each is for, if nothing else by checking the entry Url which clearly reveals which list matches the CLSID.

23. Phant0m

No, because the problem could be specific to that list, under that specific CLSID HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists\{4E8F4594-085F-4CBA-AE10-8A1563156105}\ ... and not affect the rest.As I said, when you make a change to the TTL value data, it might not have stuck. Simply force a refresh via View \ Refresh .. and make sure before closing out.

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The main issue here m00nbl00d is that ever since fanboy decided to merge with EasyList, he's been pretty much MIA. The forums are nearly abandoned, and you'll be lucky to see even a few posts addressed. This results in barely any updates to the adblock list (and in turn the TPL list).

What I'm trying to say is that the list used to regenerate every hour or so with brand new things he was adding, but he barely adds anything these days, and I've seen it go several days without regenerating at all.

What you may be experiencing is that it checked for updates say yesterday or the day before and there was no changes, which in turn means the next check will be in 3 days, even if the list was finally regenerated today.

I don't think you need to be running IE for the list to be updated, or checked.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm glad this got fixed, but Elapsed is right, the Fanboy forums are on life support. Some "Guests" are basically answering themselves because the "people in the know" have packed up. I'm not particularly head over heels in love with Easylist, as I think there is less coverage overall than there was with older Fanboy lists, but it looks like Easylist will be the go to source for lists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.