IE vs FireFox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twodogs44, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Has anyone noticed that you cannot open some (very few) sites using FFox?

2. progress

progress Guest

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

IE has compatability view. Does that make a difference?

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No+1. As if. o_O

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes, but they typically are sites using ActiveX, which FF does not support. One example being Windows Update.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you could post some of those pages, it would be easier to find an answer. ;)

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Is this guilt by inference or do you have some actual examples? If so, please show them.

8. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

There are sites that can not be open properly with Firefox or some functions in the sites are disabled with FF.

email.163.com (With FF3.5 it seems better.)
    blog.sina.com.cn

and some others as well. But you may blame it on the sites.

9. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I checked those links. Wow!
    There are more sites that don't work with non-IE browsers than I expected.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

12. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I don't have much experience with Firefox (I use Internet Explorer - please don't hate me :( ). However, is it possible for each new opened tab in Firefox to be your homepage (e.g.: google.com) instead of the blank tab page?

Regards,

Mark.

13. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I use Firefox all the time and IE when I have to which is rare. If firefox keeps gaining market share then more and more websites will accommodate it. IMO I think that one of the best friends of commercial security vendors from a business standpoint has been the widespread use of IE over the years. :D

14. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

A popular addon called Tab mix plus can realize the function you mentioned. I don't know if there are other ways.

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Once I knew about Firefox, it's freedom from ActiveX exploits, and especially the extensions that allow the user to customize it, I switched from IE (except for Windows Update) and haven't missed it. That said, when IE8 came out, I tried using it again. I must say that it's not bad. It's not FF but I could use IE8 and be reasonably happy. But I still loathe IE6 and IE7 and whenever I work on someone's PC, upgrade IE to IE8 as fast as my fingers allow me to!

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

IE8 still doesnt allow you to save open tabs on exit or reopen tabs you accidently closed. firefox and opera do both.

i still cant belive IE only sites still excist...

btw the second site doesnt even work properlly if i tell opera to maskerade as internet explorer.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

"Tools" -> "Reopen Last Browsing Session"

Right-click any open tab -> "Reopen Closed Tab" or "Recently Closed Tabs"

Are you sure you've used IE8?

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have used IE8 but its still slow like IE7 with only 1 or 2 tabs so I didnt really bother exploring it. opera and firefox are better browsers. blank tabs take so long to open in IE. only good feature in IE8 is the process separation for each website. im hoping opera and firefox implement it soon.

the restoring websites features are much easier to find in firefox and opera.

fyi im still annoyed at mozilla for there stupid profile manager program for thundebird and firefox that simply deleted everything in the folder the profile was stored in and not the files it placed in that folder...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's pretty fast for me (rough estimate = 0.2-0.3sec delay), but judging from many reports I've seen on the Internet, some people do seem to have problems with new tab loading speed.

Along with InPrivate Filtering, Protected Mode, automatic crash restore for individual tabs (not only the whole browser), and anti-XSS and clickjacking. Opera also needs to improve the quality of history/bookmark searches returned by its smart location bar to catch up with Firefox and IE, at the moment it's quantity over quality/accuracy.

Right-click on tab is how you do it in Firefox and Opera as well. Heck, even the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-T) is the same.

The browser that really doesn't allow the user to reopen closed tabs is, as far as I can tell, Safari for Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.