IE V6 Freezes When Linking To Other Websites

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by leecherous, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leecherous

leecherous Registered Member

I have a 533 MHZ Pentium III, 40GB HDD, 384MB RAM, Windows XP Pro Computer using IE v6 (SP2) and Outlook Express. I use Surewest's Phone Line DSL access through a Router which is not shared by any other PC. My PC is clean, defragged, and free from viruses and spyware (using Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpyBot S&D v1.3, SpywareBlaster etc.) Norton Antivirus 2004 and Norton Internet Security are installed and updated. I have difficulty, once logged into a website, linking to other websites from the original website ... e.g. Accessing a Real Estate Website, I usually link to other affiliate sites. About the 2nd or 3rd link, IE freezes up. I cannot access any other site nor can I perform any functions or utilities using Windows. If I wait 3 to 10 minutes, the freeze clears up, and I can continue with the normal linking routine. If I proceed to link further into other websites, freezing usually occurs as a result. I have run, through a friend's suggestion, Windows Utility, "SFC /scannow" System File Checker, but that did not help matters. I can always access any website's home page once the freeze clears up. This freezing problem will erupt while accessing any website after the 1st or 2nd link within the website. I must add that this problem occurred prior to SP2's installation. I formally had SP1 installed, and the results were the same. I have not tried uninstalling IE v6 and reinstalling it in fear of losing all of my "Favorites" and possibly clearing out OE folders, Inbox, address book, etc. What can I do to resolve this annoying problem?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Get your concerns out of the way first. Find your user folder on drive C, dbl clk and find your fav's.
    Then, just copy to where you want to save it. Deal with OL here. Here's a page on IE notes, take a peek.
    If you go to do a repair reinstall of IE, look at this. Another site you can access.
    One question, do you deal with a lot of style sheets at these sites?

See what shakes, in the meantime I'll check it out.

GF

3. Chopsaw

Chopsaw Registered Member

this issue is not comman to an install of sp2 ... it would be nice to test and see if the issue occurs when no other programs are watching or running on the system

In order to do this, since you have a touter on a dsl line, we can access the internet while in safe mode with networking.

To get there, when we first stat with the power button, we need to start tapping on the f8 key on the top of the keyboard. This will bring up a menu calleded "advanved boot options".

Within this list, choose "safe mode with netwoking" and hit enter.
    Following that you will be asked what operating system you would like to load. If you you see one in the list, just hit the enter key.

after a short time you will reach the welcome screen
    Choose your own account first and test for the issue. If the issue still occurs, log off your account and test for the issue within the administrator account.

If the issue occurs we have a good starting point in understanding that it is an issue with the operating system. If the issue only occured in your own account then we know we have a problem with your user account. If there was no issue in either account then we know the problem is being caused by a program installed to the computer and we can use the system configuration utility to narrow it down (msconfig.exe)

give your feed back on each senario.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

That's a viable choice there Chopsaw, I've read many articles on searching out problems this way. It's good to have the additional input,
    as it's tough to remember all the different avenues one takes in trying to resolve these kind of issues.
    Thanks,

GF

5. leecherous

leecherous Registered Member

Thanks for all of your input regarding fixes to my IE v6 freezing problem. I have decided to reformat my HDD and reinstall Windows XP (HE) along with the CD version of SP2 which I've ordered from Microsoft. I've given up with so many trial and error options which have not changed my original status.

Again, thank you guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.