IE to Start Automatic Upgrades across Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that's the most boorish statement I've heard in a looooong time.

A company (M$) whose product I paid for, trying to upgrade a browser version that when installed wastes my desktop icons & sidebar, are trying to push a product, that's for sure.

I'm quite happy with my notebook running Vista, it's still updated by Microsoft & still a viable OS.

I don't want free stuff forced on me if it doesn't work.

If that's being a hippy, fine. I'd rather be a hippy than a tendentious pillock.

2. guest

guest Guest

I do not have to worry about it,
    I have microsurgery removed IE from XP
    and so far all seems to be working fine "at least for now??"
    Running Palemoon 3.6.27:D

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't think you can roll back IE versions, so I see your point. For some folks, it's just going to be a matter of moving on to a new browser I think.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Have fun getting windows updates.

Worked fine for me and millions of other Vista upgraders, yeah, MS should totally not update people because of your bad setup, that makes sense!

5. Daveski17

Yeah, it's all my computer's fault. It is puerile to blame someone's computer for a problem that your own doesn't have. I personally know two people who have had the same problem with Vista & IE 9 & I have spoken to quite a few online. Obviously they are all 'bad set-ups' or whatever. M$ can update as much as it wants, but as someone with some sense stated earlier, no company knows the exact configuration of every computer in the world. Potentially problematical updates shouldn't be foistered on the general end user IMO. Fortunately it appears that I will have the choice not to update. You should totally grow up.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  6. Daveski17

It's possible because I did it (although with the RC rather than the beta). How to Geek

I just don't desire to have to keep doing this at regular intervals. I have a friend & a relative who have had exactly the same problem updating to IE 9 on their Vista laptops. Both machines being less than two years old & having relatively decent RAM & CPU speed. M$ know about this problem but don't care. My guess is that it is an incentive to make people upgrade their Vista machines to Win 7. I have disabled the auto-updating anyway so I should be OK. I'll be all right, I have Firefox & SeaMonkey.

IMHO Chrome/Iron, Firefox/SeaMonkey are better than IE 8 anyway. One of the reasons I downloaded Firefox was because of IE 7's sluggishness on my notebook. I've hardly ever used IE in three years or so. I've never missed it.

I'm not sure how the commercial users of XP will deal with this. I would have assumed most had already updated to IE 8 ages ago. In my experience all of the XP machines I have used at various workplaces already have, for quite a while now, I believe .

7. elapsed

You're right, MS should leave people with outdated and insecure browsers just to satisfy you.

"Grow up", the winner of arguments when losing.

Also, there's an edit button, but I guess you seem to like racking up a pointless post count.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*starts a campfire, grabs the guitar and starts singing Cumbaya* Down boys, it's a browser :D

@Dave: Thanks for the link, I was almost certain you couldn't roll the versions back. I never liked IE 7 and 8 either, 7 especially.

9. Daveski17

This is just a provocative, baiting & quite frankly an immature statement. How old are you? MS should certainly improve its security in updates. I just think that not everyone would know how to uninstall IE 9 & roll back to IE 8. I think of elderly relatives of mine who were quite mystified about why many of their desktop icons disappeared & their sidebar was crippled after upgrading to IE 9. No doubt this will happen to quite few more people around the globe. It is a problem that has not been redressed. As I said, fortunately this upgrade can be opted out of. I just feel sorry for those who are going to have problems with this.

No honestly, it was advice. You really need to.

Also; maybe you should stop making baiting ad hominem statements? Of course, a prerequisite of that is in requiring some basic maturity in the first place.

10. Daveski17

*Smashes guitar* I hate Cumbaya more than I hated IE 7 LOL!

Admittedly it's just a browser, but there is a bit of a principle here I think. Either way, it's academic now as I can avoid the upgrade.

You're welcome. It was less painful than I thought it would be to roll-back. I just got a tad worried about this whole enforced upgrade thing, as I had this vision of having to de-IE 9 my notebook at regular intervals.

11. guest

guest Guest

Dave, did you try these commands on the Command Prompt before installing IE9 on the problematic machine?

sfc /scannnow
    and
    chkdsk /f

Note that they should be typed on an elevated Command Prompt (to open it, type cmd on the Start menu search box > right mouse click on the cmd.exe item > select Run as administrator).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  12. Daveski17

No, what do they do?

13. guest

guest Guest

sfc /scannnow > Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.
    Reference: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

chkdsk /f > Chkdsk / f checks the NTFS and file allocation table (FAT) file systems and then produces an error disk status report. It also quickly repairs disk errors or bad sectors found on volumes on the hard drive.
    Reference: http://www.ehow.com/about_5367787_chkdsk-f.html

14. guest

guest Guest

Quote: "Have fun getting windows updates."

Not a problem, just download updates manually and install them

15. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info.

16. Daveski17

It's easier IMO doing it manually when you have limited RAM anyway, as you can choose when to update. Often on my notebook I have had slow-downs as the updates arrive. It can be quite frustrating at times. My guess is that my Belnea O.book was originally designed for XP, but when Vista was released it got 'converted'. I Gb of RAM is small beer these days.

17. guest

guest Guest

Just a side note, he is talking about real manually updating because he is on XP and he said that he removed every IE-related component. I can hardly think that's easier. He can't access the Windows/Microsoft Update site and update manually from there. He needs to manually find the Microsoft security bulletins applicable to his system/apps (web searching and/or using some third-party app that claims to have such feature), visit the correct Microsoft Download Center webpages, download the correct updates from the options on those webpages, and run each downloaded installer separated, which will also often trigger different installation procedures, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  18. guest

guest Guest

"guest"

Is correct in that you have to find the updates manually and run each installer,
    it is time consuming, some third party programs do help though, I just ran Belarc Advisor
    and according to it I just lack 22 updates, I guess that is not to bad for the sure number
    of updates there are

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I believe Secunia PSI checks for Windows updates as well. I seem to recall it doing so when I last used it (some time ago). If so, it's possible to set the program to automatically download the updates for you (perhaps install as well).

20. niki

niki Registered Member

That's why Microsoft released the 2 Blocker Tools - IE8 and IE9. It's not only for commercial users. I used the IE8 Blocker Tool prior to the release of IE8 and only downloaded IE8 when all the kinks were ironed out. WU never bugged me to install IE8 when I had the IE8 Blocker Tool installed, just had to reverse it prior to installing IE8.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14149
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=179

21. elapsed

The fact you think I need to grow up when you're the one that continues to barrage me with personal insults is amusing to say the least. :rolleyes: I guess I touched a nerve or something with your nonsense argument.

Again, you seem to think they should leave millions of people with outdated browsers for a "few people round the globe". Logic at it's finest I guess.

22. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm with Funky - forcing the updates is a good idea. The number of users who will benefit far far far outweighs the number of users who won't.

23. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I run IE9 on my Vista laptop and actually like it. It's fast and no trouble.

Unfortunately, the best I can do on my desktop, xp pro sp3, is IE8 and it is slow and buggy. I run Google Chrome's browser on the desktop.

I like the update idea. I'd also like it if they'd make IE9 to run on XP, my favorite OS.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The Internet is interconnected, all the malware is from people's computers. The more insecure PC's there are, the more botnets.

Of course, almost like Windows Update.

Don't like the cold hard truth? Name calling solves nothing, shows lack of argument, and only sparks tempers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.