IE spyad and Spywareblaster restricted sites fail to appear

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Dave2, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

When I run spywareblaster's restricted zone settings, they don't appear in IE.
    The registry keys do exist though in

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\

But when i go to these domains, the icon for restricted zone does not appear, so it seems IE is not using them.

When i experiment by manually adding to IE's restricted zone the key appears here

My computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\

So IE appears to be using those.

This is confirmed further by the fact that Eric Howe's IEspyad2, which creates keys for restricted sites appear there as well and work okay.

Also it seems that the side effects he warns of below, do not seem to affect me. I can manually add sites to the trusted zone, without the sites in the restricted zone becoming invisible.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Dave,

What operating system are you using ?

Also....this has cropped up from time to time and was wondering if you would Please try something to help us troubleshoot this problem ?

If you agree....would you mind exporting the below registry keys for safe keeping....and then delete ONLY the Domains portion of those registry keys. After that....enable SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites protection and report back the results.

When we have finished....you can simply import\merge those saved registry keys back into the registry.

[​IMG] the reg keys in bold only:[​IMG]
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

3. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

XP Home SP2, I believe most people with the same problem are on XP too. I suspect it has something to do with hardening the local computer zone.

Why not? sure.

I did all that. Restarted. Then choose enable all protection in spywareblaster. Exact same problem.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I was fairly certain before we tried that what the outcome was going to be....but I wanted to be sure we eliminated any possibility of conflicts. I was also fairly certain before we started that SpywareBlaster does not play a part in this problem due to the fact it accomplishes it's main objective when it installs the entries into the Current_User Domains key and after that it's up to IE to display them properly.

Have you attempted a repair of IE ?

Also....while I'm familar with Win2K and it's policies whereby a policy setting can be made to have all users abide by the Local_Macine settings....I do not have enough knowledge of XP Pro to know if there is such an animal in that OS o_O

5. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

Heh, actually that was what I was hoping from you. Time to hit the microsoft website i guess, unless some expert chimes in...

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Dave,

Have you been able to determine what is possibly causing this ?

I took a look at a few things and was wondering if you have the below policy reg entry....and in particular the DWORD value below in bold ?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Security_HKLM_only

7. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

Heh, funny how you posted this, about 6 minutes after I posted the solution in another thread.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Which thread is that Dave ?

Edit
    Never mind....I see where you updated us about your problem in this thread.
    Thanks for letting us know the outcome :)

9. Dave2

Dave2 Guest

Oh yes, just to add in case it isnt clear, removing that, fixes the problem

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It's difficult to notice when posts are made by Guests when following them on our Main page in the area dealing with What's Going On. The only name we see is {Guest}. Also....it's difficult to know if the Guest with your same sigin is indeed you or another Guest Dave2....since all Guests can use the same name if they wish. However....there can only be one registered member under the name Dave2.

In any case....thanks for updating us concerning your problem....no matter what thread you placed it in [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.