IE SP2 strange behavior

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by snowman, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

once before I 'upgrade" to SP2 an had this very same problem...eventually I reformatted.......an a few weeks ago "upgraded to SP2 again an the "problem" returned.

the "problem" is that every now and then IE alerts me that there is a problem with it....an wants to "send" the details of the "problem" to M$........I denied it...IE shuts itself down.....I re-open...an everything works just fine....I can surf for hours on end an never experience any problems..........

Now have begun to wonder if IE is trying to call-home......in my firewall its set to "ask" an then filtered through a proxy......could reporting a problem (that does not seem to exist) just be a ruse to contact M$

possibly the only way I can find the answer is to ask if anyone else is experiencing this behavior that has IE on a chain and using a proxy.

snowman

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I noticed, in one installation of IE 5.5 SP2 on a local machine, that this would occur.

The error reporting is a new "feature" that Microsoft put into the program to try to remove bugs more quickly and easily.

Unfortunately, on this one machine, it seemed to detect "errors" terribly - alerting me all the time, and even when I could continue working with IE in the background, while ignoring that error message window.

I don't know if there is any fix (although I have not had the same problems on that one machine after I installed IE 6 and all the security patches).

-javacool

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

snowman - Go to Windows Update.

When you get there, click on 'Product Updates' and let it scan your computer to determine if you need any updates.

Look for a clickable link near the top of the page that says "Show Installed Updates". Click it.

On the listing of installed updates that that will bring up, look for 'Internet Explorer Error Reporting' (216KB). Off to the right there, you'll see a clickable link to 'Un-Install". Click it. (The program listing will also be found in Add/Remove Programs if you have it installed on your computer - you can un-install it from there, also, if you wish, instead of through Windows Update).

Re-start your computer.

That should solve that particular problem. HTH Pete

4. snowman

snowman Guest

CHECKOUT

yup.., thats the same behavior I am experiencing with IE.........I don't recall seeing M$ saying that this feature would be installed with SP2.....thanks M$...

PETE

I just did a system restore..(un-related) an needed to go out for awhile but will follow your instructions just as soon as I return.      I did however look in add\remove......the listing you mentioned isn't there...but obviously its "somewhere"" an you can betcha its gone to go byebye..

Thanks Buddy..I appreciate you sharing this info...the error message was driving me nuts...because nothing is wrong....IE is working just fine....I don't think it likes being on a leash......tough!   its going to stay caged!

snowman

5. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Two comments which I hope help:

IE6 should be installed after careful thought - it can be very tempramental about installing cleanly, and if for whatever reason you want to go back to IE5 or 5.5, it is an absolute b****etc to get rid of.

Hvaing said all that, once I got it up & running its been fine on my NT4  & win 2k boxes.  The only time it grumbles is when I test it and TTT against nasties to check my security.  It does threaten to call Mama then - oh dear! :'(

6. snowman

snowman Guest

BUDS

thanks for sharing your experience......I use IE 5.5....prefer 5.01......an now way would I use IE 6....

got to go check out what Spy1 advised....see you later...

snowman

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Following Spy1's instructions revealed some rather interesting results.......

the windows update site says that the error reporting has not been installed......it goes further by offering me the install.........

a check of add\remove and the registry does not show that error reporting is installed on my computer...

an then wham...as soon as I closed the windows update page I was hit with an " internet explorer error reporting" request!!!        talk about adding insult to lies...!!!

oh its on my computer alright...so where is it and how did it get there and why isn't being shown!!

without any facts to verify...I can make a guess only...that it must have been bundled in the last SP2 update I installed   an M$ isn't revealing that information....which leads me to think that M$ is intentionally using error reporting to call home.....

now how about that!!    hey, I am willing to listen to any other possible explanations..........how in heck can it want to report an error if error reporting does not exist on my computer??     by the way..media is not install on my computer either.........suggestions anyone?

snowman

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 DOES bundle error reporting for the internet explorer application (only).

It was listed as one of the new "features". (I forget the page - will try to find it if I can).

-javacool

9. snowman

snowman Guest

JAVA

my friend your word is more than good enough for me......you don't have to search for the page.

well that would explain why error reporting keeps popping up.    what I don't understand is why M$ is offering me "error reporting" at the winupdate site...but then there is very very little that M$ does right.....so I take that back..for M$ this is normal.......

so..I don't get offered the option to un-install this bugger......thanks again M$.......an all I can do is be envious of those who can un-install it....much thanks M$.....its such a comfort to have M$.......I am so happy with M$ I may just tweaky in my pants.

snowman

P>S  by the way.."error reporting" does not understand "no"....an shuts down IE when told not to....oh M$ your programmers make such great products....(my M$ rant for the month)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.