IE restricted zones

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by maddawgz, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi i accidentally added a site in restricted i cant find it in there when i go to add it again says already there? is there a 3rd party tool i could find it with, cant get to the site with IE or firefox thanks :(

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You can use ZonedOut. And while trying to find the site, make sure to look under the different keys (upper right-hand side of program).

3. maddawgz

Hi WSfuser did that delted it out there,still cant get to site this program here caused the problem not sure what's its done tried putting a fresh host file on too :mad:

Culprit
    http://www.ashkon.com/webblock.html

4. WSFuser

Have you tried running that program and removing the site from its list?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

For future reference, adding a site to the Restricted Zone of IE will not prevent one from going to that site, it only restricts what html code can execute.

6. maddawgz

thanks something is preventing me yes i removed it in both programs, tried FF and IE cant get to site :'( must be something stopping it

7. maddawgz

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I've never had that happen to me before. It sounds like you have something on your system like NetNanny that might block specific websites?

9. maddawgz

No net nanny here? using vista i duno what ive done would it have gone in registry that entry too? when i go to site using FF , just blank nothing page tries to go there hmmmm MD

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Are you using a program like Spyware Blaster that could be blocking the site?

11. WSFuser

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser, I was just trying to think of something else that may be blocking the site.

@ maddawgz, I re-read the thread and it looks like your best bet would be to contact the Web Block company for assistance. Also, if you have a hosts file manager, did you check to see if the site was listed in your hosts file your refreshed?

13. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Maybe your ISP blocks you from going to that site. Have you tried using another PC?

thanatos

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  14. maddawgz

ok spywareblaster i checked nothing?.... used host file editor to check nothing hostxpert even created a new host file, went to the other pc in same house goes to site ok.....so its this stupid pc... also contacted company to ask where theyre blocked sites store and heard nothing frustrating as o_O o_O

Tried to re-enstall FF but nothing, Must be registry as IE has problems too , im not going to system restore or ill loose my programs i installed can i check the registry where do i look in there has to be in there somwhere

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Don't think Spyware Blaster will block sites. It is supposed to prevent blacklisted sites from executing within the browser (such as Active X).

Could your problem be with the firewall? Firewalls can block access through a browser program.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls

The only instance where I get "timed out" when loading webpages is when my dialup connection is a faulty one. My browser attempts to go to a website, but it gets nothing because the modem has not been "connected" to the ISP server even though it indicated that I got connected at the beginning. When that happens, I get pissed since I wasted a phone call for nothing. Sometimes it happens in consecutive dialup attempts. :mad: :thumbd:

16. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Hi Bubba I moved a site to the restricted site because it was opening up and directing me to other sites without my clicking on anything. What is that called and what code makes it happen?I would go to site A and the find myself on site B which is a similar site. My browser is not hijacked and al spyware/virus scans are clean?

Now I cannot access the site at all and cannot find it in the restricted site to remove. On trying to access it I am told that I need cookies enabled but I have first and third party and even session cookies enabled. I would appreciate if you could enlighten me

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  17. WSFuser

18. david banner

I read the link and googled. Do not understand verywell. It is different from popup? Can it be prevented by putting site in restricted? Thanks

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

What is the site that you are trying to go to? Some sites have auto redirects to another URL name because the original site is not technically registered officially. There are many cases where typos are auto directed to another site in an attempt to provide you with what the search engine thinks you had intended. I know that some sites force you to go to the other URL site and if you stop it, then you get an error message and end up with nothing.

20. WSFuser

Yes very.
    Afaik no.

21. david banner

It is a free dating site* and the redirect goes to a paid one! But the first page site open too just reduced. You have to close the second and go back to the first.Is that a true redirect when the first one stays open?I think the free one is probably funded by ads but i did not know about redirects without clicking?

* I won't put the url in case it is breaking rules here

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I used to surf to dating sites a few years ago, but never had that type of experience that you mentioned. But I have seen many instances where certain sites automatically open windows to other sites without clicking by forcing you to be redirected to them.

I am a bit confused. Earlier, you stated that you cannot go to the original site at all. Now you say the original site is still there in a reduced size window. If the first window is still there, I would not say it is a true redirect.

There are many sites that force other pop up browser windows to appear with another site even though you did not want to visit them.

23. david banner

I guess that is what I meant, sorry for any confusion

Hi. What I meant is I cannot go to the site at all now.The original site would be there reduced when I could go. But since I added that site to the restricted site I cannot go to it at all
    No I don't think so. I am not really bothered I cannot go to the site,just trying to learn the reasons behind it

What is the term for that, just a pop up is it? Thanks for your feedeback ;)

24. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. What is the term for it? I refer to it as revenue sharing. The Net is about paying all of these fees in order to "harvest" potential customers. That's why Google is worth billions. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.