IE Restricted Zone rejecting SpywareBlaster's settings

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by stevebass, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevebass

stevebass Registered Member

1. I ran SpywareBlaster and clicked Enable all protection with ther 10/25 update (3208 items in database).

2. The fields in SpywareBlaster's IE tab is fully populated, as are the fields in the restricted Zone tab.

3. IE's Restriced Zone shows NO sites yet IE's Privacy tab Sites IS fully populated with SpywareBlaster's database.

Question: What could stop SpywareBlaster from loading its database into IE's Restricted Zone?

Thanks,

--Steve Bass
    ---------------------

2. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

as long as you have your setting to high on restricted zone your ok. cause everyhting is disabled therefore not allowing any thing to be put on.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Scott....if the sites are not showing up in the Restricted Zone there are no sites for IE to restrict ?

@ Steve
    Welcome to Wilders [​IMG]

What Operating System and can you manually add sites succesfully to the Restricted Zone ?

Also....if while Spywareblaster GUI is open you select the Restricted Sites selection at the top and then place a check mark in the box next to Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer ....then select Protect against checked items....do the items then show up in IE ?

4. scott lang

well i assumed from his post he said he had them checked on blaster already.

5. stevebass

Yes, I can manually add items to the Restricted Zone (and Trusted Sites).

In Spywareblaster, I've tried what you've described--checking, unchecking, protecting again, removing protection, and fiddling with the settings. Nothing's helped.

Yet using Spywareblaster's IE Tab and checking "prevent spyware and tracking cookies" and "ActiveX based..." work correctly in IE's IE Privacy Sites.

This is VERY confusing...

--steve

>>What Operating System and can you manually add sites succesfully to the Restricted Zone ?

Also....if while Spywareblaster GUI is open you select the Restricted Sites selection at the top and then place a check mark in the box next to Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer ....then select Protect against checked items....do the items then show up in IE ?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What Operating System....and do you use any other programs that also add sites to the Restricted Zone ?

If you are comfortable looking in the registry....would you mind checking the below locations to see if there is a long list of Domains.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

7. stevebass

XP Pro SP2.

I've used SpyBot' Immunize--which advises me that SpywareBlaster is installed and does a better job. Odd, though, using Immunize, Spybot says 1631 products already blocked; 623 additional protections available.

When I click Immunize, 2254 sites are now blocked. But IE's Restricted sites are still empty. Which rules out SpywareBalster as the problem, agree?

>>do you use any other programs that also add sites to the Restricted Zone ?

There are roughly 6000 entries here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

There are 4 here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just a little info concerning some of the numbers before proceeding with your problem.

As you may know....Spybot's Immunize function consists of 3 protections....just like SpywareBlaster....ActiveX clsid entries, Cookies(spyware and tracking cookies) and Restricted Sites. What Spybot is meaning when it says...."SpywareBlaster is installed and does a better job"....it's only talking about Spywareblasters ActiveX protection....which does have significantly more entries in it's database\definition files than Spybot and the 623 additional protections available are referring to ActiveX entries only.

you said:
    "When I click Immunize, 2254 sites are now blocked."
    Realize that is the total items in Spybots database in regards to ActiveX, Cookies and Restrcited Sites....and the 2254 entries now tells me you have XP :)

you said:
    "But IE's Restricted sites are still empty. Which rules out SpywareBalster as the problem, agree?"

It would to me....which is why I was hoping you were using something similar to Spybot and\or IE-Spyad to verify just as you did.

One more thing and then my suggestion might be to do a repair of IE. Would you re-visit the below reg key and click on one of the Domain entries and look in the right hand box. Does it have a dword value of 0x00000004 ?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

9. stevebass

Unfortunately, it does. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

>>Does it have a dword value of 0x00000004 ?

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Actually....that's a good thing because the 4 signifies a Restricted Zone site....whereas a 2 would be Trusted. Point is....the programs are not at fault since they are placing the sites properly in the registry....but IE....as you already know....is not doing it's job.

My suggestion is to attempt a repair of IE.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

11. stevebass

Shall do. Thanks for the guidance and tutorial. I'll let you know who it worked out.

--Steve

>>My suggestion is to attempt a repair of IE.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

12. scott lang

hey steve, heres the link to the page about the hosts file so that ie will have a updated list.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/htm

and yes this works with all windows os's. at bottom of page describes strange behavior.
    and bubba, if he puts this in it will show the hosts list in ie restricted zone.
    and after he does the ie repair you told him and possibly reinstalling blaster after that i reccomend doing the hosts file too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.