IE browser problem after using spyware blaster & spybot

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Joyce, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyce

Joyce Guest

having had problems with pc slowdown, pop-ups & PopNav taking over my browser I found advice and used Jasons-toolbox which then referred me to here I believe to d/load & use Spyware Blaster and it also recommended Spybot. Great software... initial use found about 120 spyware entries... blasted and used Spybot again and found @20 new entries. Cleaned it again. However, next time I booted the pc, the browser went to PopNav.com instead of Comcast.net as the default. Tried to go to "tools".."internet options" and got a message "Restrictions...This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." There is NO system admin..just me and I am at a loss as to what to do next. I somehow need to restore to default settings... AND get PopNav off my PC. Has PopNav REALLY taken over my PC COMPLETELY. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Will d/loading Netscape Nav..then deleting IE browser; then re-d/loading IE browser from internet help? Is it even possible. Then how do I kill PopNav and make it stay dead!!! Darn thing has multiple lives!!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Joyce :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Please follow the instructions at this link,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

snowbound

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Hold off on even trying to uninstall IE. Sounds like you have a homepage hijacker on the machine. Follow the instructions at the link snowbound posted.

This problem is not a result of the use of SWB or SBS&D. Although you might want to make sure you did not lock in your IE settings via Spybot. To find out, open Spybot S&D in advanced mode (rather than easy mode), click on the immunize button on the left hand side and then check the settings at the bottom part of the panel to ensure your IE start page and control settings are not locked. If they're not locked, fine. Leave it that way until you can get rid of that crud. If they are locked, unlock them just to make sure that won't interfere with removing the homepage hijacker procedures. (At least, that's what I'd do.)

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Here is a screenshot of what sig is talking about.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.