IE 8 ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Decapad, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - this morning I installed IE 8. It now takes about 25 seconds to start up. Once it starts up it the browsing speed varies from lightning fast to a snail's pace - extremely inconsistent. I tried to ditch it by restoring to yesterday's settings - that didn't work at all as Explorer wouldn't even start up then. This is exactly why sometimes I hate "updating" programs that pretty much work OK. Maybe it's time I ditch Explorer for one of the other browsers out there... Anyone else had this problem or just lucky me? Any insights or remedies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Deca:)

2. sded

sded Registered Member

I have IE8 running on 2 Vista machines now, pretty much default settings because I usually use Opera. I just clicked on IE8 and it was on the screen in <5sec, Yahoo page fully loaded in < another 5. Browsing seems very quick on 2 computers. Looks like you won the lottery again). :)

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

First thing I'd do is run IE8 without add-ons and see if that solves the problem. If that doesn't work, next step in the troubleshoot process would be to create a new (temporary) user account in Windows, and see if things are better there.

Do you have Spybot, and/or anything that makes modifications to the hosts file, by any chance?

4. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello & thank you all very much. Yes I am using both Spybot S & D as well as Spyware Blaster. Once I executed the file suggested by ssj100 (which I think bypasses the immunization functions) then Explorer worked perfectly. (Gosh you guys are smart btw... I love this website!) So is there really any need for me to use Spybot or Spyware Blaster anymore? Perhaps other Spy blockers are better suited for IE 8? Thanks again! D :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ssj100, I've been using SpywareBlaster for quite a few years with no apparent problems. However, I have had a slow cold startup problem with Firefox for a while and all my attempts to correct the 28 second startup didn't work. I noticed your post and uninstalled SB just to see if it would help, and it reduced the cold startup time in half. It also makes Opera start up faster too. Thanks for the tip!

6. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

There is no more positive to a tool like spywareblaster that keeps on dumping more and more url into your registry while most of the old ones (90%+) are already dead and gone.

7. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I installed IE8 a couple of days ago and I also had problems with slow opening and my Outlook Express took ages to display all the menu items correctly.

Anyway... wasn't sure what was going on but a quick Google search soon led me to Spybot being the problem with all the tons of stuff it puts in the restricted sites. I then disabled the immunizations and everything started to work well and in fact a lot quicker than ever before.

As it happens I have been wondering for a while about what if any was the benefit of having Spybot on my system as it seems to never find anything on a scan, which also now takes so long due to the definitions which just gets bigger with every new update and as I use ESET I have been wondering why I would need sites blocked as I should be protected by ESS.

So... this has decided it for me... I deinstalled Spybot and at the same time removed all the restricted stuff in Firefox as well.

Everything is now running perfectly with IE8, and Outlook Express is also crisper opening.

I think this may be a good example of how when new software is developed like IE8 and then old software like Spybot is trying to be used with it, how the inevitable conflicts come to the surface once it gets released to public.

It's like an evolution thing for me now... used Spybot for many years but it just seems to be too bloated and this was the right time for me to stop using it.

All I have to do now is work out all the new features in IE8 like the InPrivate Browse and Filter and the SmartScreen Filter. Also going through the usual customizing of the look and feel of the toolbars but it does seem to be working very well here now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.