IE-7 needs tweaking For Safety.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Badcompany, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I didn't read it in detail but the first section says what I have thought since I first loaded IE7. IMO, until it has the "sandbox" that Vista can provide for it, IE7 is not much safer then IE6. The biggest problem (malicious ActiveX code) is still in lots of places...

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

A user has to made a desicion, what does he want, the security or a comfortability?
    Eg when I want to add an emoticon I have to type IMG code and copy its link there.
    And there is no problem to add such a page as a trusted page (if trusted, of course).
    In trusted, it is enough to allow only needed functions & etc (default deny is the way).

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I applied the suggestions made in that article I doubt however they will become much of a problem to me as I primarily use Opera for web browsing. I do use IE every day despite this, but it tends to be to limited to visiting about 5 or 6 sites that I have added to my trusted sites. IE will always have security vulnerabilities, because having the lions share of the browser market, it is worth the time and effort of those who spend their time looking for these things.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

In a follow up to this, for the average user I think the changes are totally impractical, the loss of functionality on the browser is nothing short of ridiculous, I have found that I have to add almost every site I visit to my trusted sites in order to be able to use it which kind of defeats the purpose. The only sites it would protect me from are the ones I don't visit. Menus often don't work, pages don't display properly if at all, I get warning boxes telling me I can't do something as simple as type in a search box and send. To impliment these changes to your browser is just a couple of steps short of saying don't connect to the internet and then you'll be safe from it.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This is nothing new, every IE version can be hardened by changing a couple of settings in the "Internet and Local Machine Zone". And there are also a couple of security tweaks available in apps like BugOff, Secure-It and Samurai for example. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.