IE 6 disabled Active-X popup fix?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by squinteyes, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squinteyes

squinteyes Registered Member

I was browsing around and found this and was wondering if this seems like a legitimate fix for that annoying popup saying your ActiveX is disabled.

1. Get yourself a resource editor, like "Resource Hacker": http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
    2. Search for the file "shdoclc.dll", usually located in c:\windows\system32\ or c:\winnt\system32\
    3. Load shdoclc.dll in Resource Hacker, go to "String Table" and go to element #503
    4. In the right window you now see some of the IE alerts, simply delete the line 8033 !!!
    5. Click on "Compile Script"
    6. Save as shdoclc.dll in a different directory
    7. Replace the old versions in ..\system32\ AND in ..\system32\dllcache\ with your new one, if necessary in safemode.
    8.That's all. You will never ever see the stupid pop-up again.

I don't mind following directions.I just want to know that the people who are giving them know what they're talking about.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

thanx. i hope it works

3. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi squinteyes,

First post I see, welcome to Wilders.

Good find, though you don't say where you got the info from. I've also read something about hacking the shdoclc.dll to “fix” this problem.

But ...

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm for getting rid of an admittedly annoying popup but it's there for precisely the reason you disable activeX in the first place -- to show that your security setting are working. Without the warning you wouldn't know if parts of a web page are "broken" because of your settings.

Then again, a possibly simpler approach would be a tiny program mention first by inceni60 HERE, called Autoclose.

Regards

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wait, so this fix jsut remove teh alert? activex remains disabled?

shoot, i read too fast...again

5. squinteyes

squinteyes Registered Member

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up squinteyes, I´ve tested it in VMware and it does seem to work. Now I can disable ActiveX without seeing this stupid alert ever again. And besides even with ActiveX enabled you sometimes would still see the alert, never knew why, but I´m glad it´s gone now. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.