Identity Theft

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tiba2, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiba2

tiba2 Registered Member

Dear friends -
    WARNING OF IDENTITY THEFT! BE VERY CAREFUL!
    Today I received the following email asking me for updated billing
    information for my AOL account. Read the email, then - below it - I'll
    tell you what happened.
    Eli

===========================================

Subj: Billing Error You Must Open With In The Next 2 Days 266
    Date: 10/28/2003 10:51:37 PM Eastern Standard Time
    HREF="mailto:processingError@aol.com">ProcessingError@aol.com</A>

To: <A HREF="mailto:<edited out>edited out</A>, <A
    HREF="mailto:edited out">edited out</A>
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Below is the result of your submission. It was submitted by
    (ProcessingError@aol.com) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 at 21:52:57
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

: Dear Valued Customer,

We regret to inform you, but the billing type on your credit card is no longer valid with America Online.

In order to enjoy your America Online experience and keep your account active, you must enter new, *valid* credit card information within 24 hours of receiving this e-mail.

To enter new credit card information and keep your account active, please
    go to our website: hxxp://aolprocess.cjb.net/

Our Regards,
    Matt Glazer
    America Online Billing Department and Staff
    ==========================================

This happens (legitimately) when, for example, your credit card expiration date is coming up, or for various other reasons.
    Today's email, however, made me suspicious because I had just done this with AOL a few weeks ago. So, instead of going to the website they listed, I called AOL, perturbed, actually, because I had just done this.
    The AOL rep immediately asked me, "Do they give you a website to go to?"
    When I replied that they did, she immediately told me that AOL doesn't have a website for this type of transaction, and that you do it through the AOL page. "This is a hacker," she said, "just looking for your personal data."
    How right she is! You should see that web site; it asks for EVERYTHING: name, address, phone numbers, social security number, TWO credit card numbers (the old one they say is not valid and a new one) mother's maiden name, driver's license number, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
    By the time you've innocently given them this information, your identity theft is certain, right down to your shorts! Scary, huh?
    If you have AOL - or if you know anyone who does - please pass
    this along without delay.
    Eli

I edited out some email-addies and disabled the link to the site. Pieter

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Truly this is amazing and very simple.
    These are not hackers ( there con Artist which have ties to CC IRC channels dealing with credit card fraud )

Giving you a example: On Efnet there's approximately 29 hidden and secret protected channels dealing with this kind of information and they have all that information. The other way they also do it is with companys wich they call and get has much information has the agent can give there wich brings it back to social engeneering. Now that the internet online shopping is growing the security measures implemented are greater. So these so called con artist need to have more information has in SSN, CC, EXP, Verification number, exact phone number, date of birth etc... and if they have that information or bank account information they can make transaction online and basicly you can't stop it unless you declare being frauded. Since they have all the information the transaction is legitimate, what is not legitimate it's the usage by un-authorize people.

BTW these people doing this are usually located in India, Africa, Slovakia, UK, Germany and most of them are young 15 to about 30 years old. Welcome to the world of cyber crimes.

Now if anyone should ask, where did I come up with this information. Well a friend on mine here in canada got convicted for just doing that and he made over 290K in a week. Surprisingly lots of the charges got drop and then he got caught again this time he was able to get any information from the paypal system and use any account from anyone. So this is one of the reason why paypal has changed its policies and is now more secure then it was about 1 year ago.

Why do these people take pleasure in fraud? shss.....

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

For more information on Identity Theft:

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/index.shtml
    http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/money/identity-crisis/idenalrt.htm
    http://www.privacyrights.org/identity.htm

Acadia

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:'( :'( I have been a victim of identity theft but the culprits were arrested before they could do damage. I didn't know about it until the police notified my credit card company that my credit card number along with others was in the possession of the thief that was arrested. I phoned the Credit Bureau to check if there was any activity, and an attempt had been made to apply for a credit card under my name but was not completed. The Credit Bureau has now placed a security tag on my account that any credit applications will have to be confirmed by me first before giving out any information - this is in effect for 5 years. Fortunately, no charges were made against my credit card and a new one was issued and my new card was tagged for security. I got off easy but there are many that do not. Rule of thumb... never allow your credit card out of your sight; if your card is double swiped then ask for a cancellation of transaction receipt or refuse a second swipe. Remember, Xmas shopping is upon us and we are all in a rush, crowds, etc. and you might not even notice what happened. Stay safe. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.