IDEA/WIP - SecDroid - More secure Android

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by x942, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

Hi everyone,

Now I just got my Galaxy Nexus and I have decided to write my first public rom. I have written rom's before (for friends and myself) but I never felt it was worthy of being released. I have decided to take the plunge.

The rom I aim to make is going to be based on AOSP, and aim to provide built in security and privacy. I will be incorporating Open Source Applications when ever possible and possibly tweaking them.

Some of examples of tweaks this ROM has:
    1) Default SMS app is replaced with TextSecure (Now Open Source)
    2) Selective Permissions will be added (to restrict apps from doing somethings)
    3)The ability to disable root access and re-enable it OTF (On the Fly)*
    4) Full Device Encryption using LUKS**
    5)TOR (Orbot - Open Source)
    6)AGP (PGP for android - Open Source)
    7)Encrypted Note pad (Using AES256)
    :cool: Default Deny - Nothing will install and Market will be removed. (Optional)
    9)Encrypted VOIP

*This is for users who only want root for one or two apps but want there device more secure (Leaving "su" in place is a potential security risk). The option will be in settings and optionally password/PIN protected.

**Full Device Encryption will be added in a latter build. I want to get a working ROM first before I move on to that.

Initially this will be the Galaxy Nexus ONLY. But I will move it to other devices ASAP.

This thread is an opinion thread. So, What do you like? What would like added? Changed? Removed?

All opinions are welcome! The whole rom will be Open Source - Including any apps I make and build in.

Thank you for any suggestions!

x942

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.