I'd like to start fresh

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DoeZ0763, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

Hi all...I hope this is the right board for this post...and this may sound a little crazy...but...I'd like to scratch my computer and start all over from the beginning...I'm running Windows XP and have cable modem...I want to start fresh like I just bought this...I feel I have to many programs that I don't use and may slow me up...both kids have their own computers now so I don't need alot...I know this is crazy but..how do I go about doing this? I know I can do a system restore but is their another way? Another reason for this is I've done a windows update and when I go into my control panel I now have 3 Display icons...and I can't figure out how to get rid of the 2 extra ones...someone told me I should never do a windows update cuz that's how you get all that extra crap and viruses...any suggestions here? Thanks :D

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

If you have an XP CD, insert the CD, reboot, and follow the instructions. If you don't have an XP CD, you can use the recovery CDs your PC manufacturer should have supplied with your system. Your system will then be as it was when you purchased it. Either way, I would first download (since you have a cable modem) the full SP2 install (Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers) and burn it to a CD. Once XP is installed, apply SP2 immediately. Keep your system offline until SP2 is installed. BTW, I would avoid any more computer advice from that "someone".

Nick

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Doe...

Follow the advice that Nick gave :)

As for this......
    Here at Wilders, that IS the #1 THING RECOMMENDED TO DO. Keep up to date with all Critical Patches.

Especially seeing as you are starting off from scratch, definitely get SP2 in the way Nick recommends. ;)

Good luck and hope to see you back soon. Keep us informed in this thread. :)

Cheers, TAS

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Good advice - I would suggest doing a full image backup first just so you have a copy of your old setup (ideally to another hard disk using software like Drive Snapshot). If you have been using your computer for a while, there will be a lot of data on there that you may wish to keep (old emails, pictures, documents, etc) and an image backup will cover all of this.

Also in addition to downloading XP SP2, also download a copy of your favourite security packages (firewalls, AV/AT scanners, process monitors and a browser to replace IE) so you can secure your system fully before connecting to the Internet.

As for Windows Update - there are security updates (which should be installed) and non-security ones (which should be added only if relevant). In particular, device driver updates are best obtained from the manufacturers' websites, not Windows Update (that's probably the cause of the 3 Display icons).

5. DoeZ0763

I knew I could count on you guys...Now because I'm not all that computer savy...I know I didn't get any XP cd with the system...I'll have to look for a recovery cd...but what is making me nervous is...what should I do with my pictures? I don't want to loose them because I downloaded them from the camera and these are the only ones I have...will I loose anything else? Please bear with me here...I'm old (not that old but) I probably will need someones hand to walk me thru this... :rolleyes: sorry...

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi DoeZ0763. The methods I suggested will wipe your system clean. If you have files you want to save, you will have to back them up. Otherwise, they will be lost. First, a couple of questions: Are you able to burn CDs? Who manufactured your PC and what is its model number?

Nick

7. DoeZ0763

Hi Nick...

Yes I can burn CD's...I have a HP Pavilion 520N...why? What about everything in my favorites? Should I just write them down so I remember them? I never really backed anything up before so I don't know what to save and what not to...Thanks for your help ;)

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Quickest option is to obtain a partition software like PartitionMagic or Bootit Ng to create an extended logical partition (let's say D) in your primary hard drive. Now copy (drag and drop) the stuff you want to keep into this D partition. Finally, load your HP recovery CDs starting with disc 1 to wipe the current operating system and reload windows. HP computers also have a recovery partition built into the hard drive to restore the operating system to factory condition.

If you want to take the safest possible solution, then you can copy importand data to CD-R discs using the CD ROM ISO format. After you've reloaded windows, then you can insert these CD-R discs to restore those data back to the hard drive.

9. DoeZ0763

Nick...I copied all my pictures onto a Cd...then I deleted them from the system...I don't remember having any CD's that came with this sytem...I don't have a recovery Cd either...now what? Also...I'm not sure of what else I should back up...I don't want to loose my favorites either...I've got to run for now though...check back later :-*

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

One option is to use XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (Start/Programs/Accessories). Check out the links below to get familiar with how it works. The output of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard can then be burned to CD and later restored in your fresh install. Note that since you don't have an XP CD, you can't run the Wizard. You will have to use the manual/advanced options.

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

Step-by-Step Guide to Migrating Files and Settings

Migrating to a Clean Installation Of Windows XP

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.