Icons lag on bootup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I installed Google Chrome and when I boot up, the Welcome screen during the boot takes longer than usual, and when the Desktop appears there are no Desktop icons or taskbar for at least 60 seconds, and then they appear. The Welcome screen normally takes about 15 to 20 seconds and then the Desktop the icons appear immediately. I have my system on another snapshot with FD-ISR, and when I boot to that without the Chrome, there's no problem. any ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I had a similar problem after installing an on-line backup service app on my laptop. The service was loading at startup and slowing things down considerably. It took me a bit of trial and error to ID the offending service but once I did all was back to normal. I bet the solution would be to prevent Chrome from loading automatically at boot. Once the PC is fully up,,,and you want to use Chrome,,,you can just launch it manually (as I do with my back up service).

I hope this helps.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for your response. As far as I can tell looking at auto run, Chrome isn't loading during boot up. I haven't got a clue as to what is stalling the middle of the boot up.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I doubt it has anything to do with Chome at all... probably just coincidence that you happened to install it when something else happened. If you have a good image, I'd restore that and try again. No part of Chrome loads at startup...

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I know that Chrome doesn't load at start up. I have restored and installed twice. I just discovered that I only have the problem when Chrome is set as default browser. If I remove default browser status the problem disappears. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's interesting! Not sure what it means though, unless the OS is trying to do something with the default browser at startup and that's causing the problem because it expects IE and it's getting Chrome. No idea though, pretty odd. If that's the situation, guess you could just leave the default set to IE and use Chrome at will anyway.... Does this happen with other browsers? For example, if you install Firefox or Opera and set them as default, do you get the same situation going on?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had FF and for a time Opera set as default. No problems. Ie is just there. The reason I installed Chrome and put it as default, was so if I click a url in an e-mail it would load fast. FF is really slow.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Chrome is much faster. I'm using it here also. I have no idea why that issue is happening. Maybe someone else has some ideas... I have it set here as default in Win 7 with no problems. Sorry I can't help more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.