Icon Restore

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

did you read the comments?
    http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Icon_Restore/Icon_Restore.html

3. Rasheed187

OK thanks, I will check it out. Funny thing is, I uninstalled it a while ago, but today my icons were messed up again (by Icon Phile) so I installed this app again, and it did manage to restore the position of some icons, so it did save me time. I wonder why M$ can´t come up with these simple but handy things. :)

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

You might like to have a look at IconID which works very well for me and does a few other things.

5. Rasheed187

Thanks for the tip, I think I used Iconoid back in the days on Win 98 SE, I tottaly forget about it, but I will check it out. :)

6. Rasheed187

Btw, does anyone know about a tool which can fix bad icons? After using Icon Phile I can not get my .html and .dll icons back, even after changing it "folder options". I also tried rebuilding my icon cache, but still no luck. :blink:

http://www.virtualplastic.net/scrow/iphile.html

7. Rasheed187

This really sucks, why can´t stuff just freakin work? Whatever I do I can not get my "IE" HTML icon back, but all the icons are on my system! I guess Icon Phile (or some other app) really screwed things up! Does anyone know what is going on? o_O

Btw, many thanks to djg05 for pointing me to the Iconoid app, it works flawlessy, it really restores the position of all icons with one single click! :thumb:

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

I forget what OS version your using
    but Iconphile is quite old now, nice little ap and all, nice bit O freeware, but

lots of changes in the OS and hotfixes between when it was written and now, you might need to tackle assigning file type classes or given a ap's icon individually if its still borked (not sure from you last post if Iconoid fixed your issue)

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi Rasheed187

I'm a very long time user of Iphile icon decorator and maybe i can help. Windows "does" sometimes fudge the icons you modified but i think that can be easily corrected for you, maybe not.

After you change all the icons to your preferred ones then make sure you go to the top toolbar menu and choose SAVE SCHEME and then ALL, after that iphile will save your choices in a .phl file you can keep in the same folder as the program. Now the next time or any time Windows rearranges your selections, open the program again going to the menu on the far left and click OPEN SCHEME then APPLY. Iphile will reload that configuration again for you. I found this still happens to me occasionally and i use that method to shove microsoft's bullying out of the way for my own and much better set up.

Anytime you add or change icons in iphile just remember to SAVE SCHEME then overwrite your saved .phl or make a new one. Works for me.

Hope this helps. Regards EASTER

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Glad you like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.